Johnson to Play for Lake Superior State University
NORTH RICHLAND HILLS, TEXAS - Brahmas forward Luke Johnson has committed to play NCAA Division I hockey at Lake Superior State University, the player announced Tuesday.
"I'm honored to have received a scholarship to play Division 1 college hockey at Lake Superior State University," said Johnson, regarding his commitment. "I would like to thank my family, parents, brother and adviser, as well as teammates and coaches. I've had a lot of good people that have constantly stood in my corner and showed love and support and I can't thank them enough. I look forward to getting better, improving my game and continuing to win games to hopefully win a championship here."
In 25 Brahma appearances, the skater records 21 points (12g-9a) and five game-winning goals. The Saint Cloud, Minn. native is within the top-twenty skaters across the entire North American Hockey League in points recorded, and only one of five rookies on the list. Johnson is the eighth-highest goal scorer in the league and tied for first in game-winning goals.
"On behalf of the Lone Star Brahmas, we would like to congratulate Luke on his commitment to Lake Superior State," said assistant coach of the Brahmas, Andrew Whiteside. "Lake Superior State is getting a quality hockey player with an elite skill set. Luke has proven himself as one of the most prolific scorers in the South Division so far this season."
Johnson is the second Brahma to commit to Lake Superior, with alum Seth Eisele (2018-19) also suiting up for the university. Currently, the team is 6-3-3 (W-L-OTL) in the 2020-21 season.
Johnson is the fifth NCAA commitment from the 2020-21 roster, along with Nicholas Niemo (Bentley University) and Zach Purcell (American International College), Andrew DeCarlo (Air Force Academy) and Rico DiMatteo (Northern Michigan University). In the 2019-20 season, the Lone Star Brahmas led the NAHL in player commitments with 16.
Images from this story
Lone Star Brahmas forward Luke Johnson
(Clicks by Candice)
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from February 3, 2021
- Game Preview: Chippewa Steel vs Janesville Jets - Chippewa Steel
- Four First Period Goals Propel Titans to 6-2 Win over Jr. Hat Tricks - New Jersey Titans
- Werner Named Honorable Mention for NAHL's Forward of the Month for January - New Jersey Titans
- Sibell Repeats as NAHL Goaltender of the Month - Aberdeen Wings
- NAHL Announces Monthly Player Awards for January - NAHL
- Johnson to Play for Lake Superior State University - Lone Star Brahmas
- Brown Bears Announce Leadership - Kenai River Brown Bears
- Game Preview: Jr. Hat Tricks Play Titans in Matinee - New Jersey Titans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.