JetHawks Nearly No-Hit in Sunday Defeat
LANCASTER, Calif. - Storm starter MacKenzie Gore threw five no-hit innings Sunday as Lake Elsinore took the series finale from Lancaster Sunday, 8-0. The JetHawks were held to a season-low two hits, the first of which did not come until the eighth inning.
Gore (3-0), one of baseball's top prospects, was as advertised in his sixth start of the season. The southpaw struck out seven in five innings without allowing a hit. He issued just two walks.
Lancaster (16-15) went without a hit until the eighth inning. Gore and Steven Wilson combined to throw seven no-hit innings, but the JetHawks finally got a hit in the eighth. Sean Bouchard led off the inning with a single off of Fred Schlichtholz to break up the no-hitter. Todd Czinege followed with a single, but the JetHawks left both men on base.
Lake Elsinore (13-18) took the lead in the third inning with a pair of runs. The Storm scored three in the fourth inning, capped off by a Jalen Washington two-run home run. Antonio Santos (1-2) allowed 11 hits in four innings, taking the loss.
The Storm finished with 15 hits, including a pair of home runs from Washington. The 11 hits Santos gave up were the most by a Lancaster starter this season.
Lancaster took two of three from the Storm after falling Sunday. The team heads into a league-way off day Monday at 16-15, three games back of Rancho Cucamonga in the South Division. Monday marks the team's first day off since April 21.
After Monday, the JetHawks welcome in the Stockton Ports for a three-game series starting Tuesday. First pitch from The Hangar is 6:35 pm.
JetHawks single game tickets, group tickets, ticket packages and season tickets are on sale now. Visit jethawks.com or call (661) 726-5400 for more information.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from May 5, 2019
- Visalia Busts Open Tight Game with Big Sixth Inning - Inland Empire 66ers
- Los Toros de Visalia Sweep Los Cucuys de San Bernardino in Three-Game Series - Visalia Rawhide
- Offense Shines in 9-3 Win over Nuts - Stockton Ports
- JetHawks Nearly No-Hit in Sunday Defeat - Lancaster JetHawks
- Giants Hold off Quakes on Sunday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Nuts Fall to Ports in Extra Innings - Modesto Nuts
- Six-Run Sixth Inning Pushes Los Toros Past Los Cucuys - Visalia Rawhide
- Ports Edge Nuts 4-3 in Extras - Stockton Ports
- Bouchard Ties League Record In Victory - Lancaster JetHawks
- Quakes Win Again in San Jose - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.