Jam Visit Bakersfield Memorial Hospital
BAKERSFIELD, December 18, 2012 - Bakersfield Jam players, coaches, front office personnel, interns and Swish (team mascot) all visited the Bakersfield Memorial Hospital pediatric ward yesterday, spending time with children on hand as well as visiting the Ronald McDonald House.
"Visiting those kids always puts things in perspective," said Head Coach Will Voigt. "To see their great attitudes despite the situations they have been dealt hopefully will rub off on all of us. We are thankful for the opportunity to spend time with them."
Brian Butch, a veteran player on the team, knows the importance and how special it is to visit children's hospitals especially during the holidays. "Anytime you get a chance to visit the children's hospital it always means a lot," said Butch. "There is nothing better than putting a smile on a child's face that is going through a lot. I am glad that my teammates and I got to put a couple of smiles on the kids' faces."
The Bakersfield Ronald McDonald House is a special place at Bakersfield Memorial Hospital where families can relax and get away while still being close to their critically ill child. Bakersfield Ronald McDonald House serves families with children in the Neonatal Intensive Care and Pediatric Units. The purpose of the Bakersfield Ronald McDonald House is to alleviate stress by providing families with a comfortable alternative to sleeping in a chair or incurring the added expense of a hotel. Additionally, in the Bakersfield Ronald McDonald House, families can find comfort and support in being surrounded with other families who are in similar situations.
The visit is part of the ongoing efforts of the Jam organization's community involvement and the NBA Cares program. Some of the recent activities include volunteering last month at Standard Middle School to help pack Thanksgiving boxes for needy families.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 18, 2012
- Charge Get over .500 with Fourth-Straight Win - Canton Charge
- Reno Bighorns Acquire Jerome Jordan - Reno Bighorns
- Vipers Acquire Macklin from Reno - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Rockets Recall Motiejunas - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Austin Toros Top Rival Texas Legends - Austin Spurs
- Jam Visit Bakersfield Memorial Hospital - Bakersfield Jam
- Reno Bighorns to Host First Responders Night on January 4th - Reno Bighorns
- Knicks Assign Copeland and White to BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- New York Knicks Assign Chris Copeland and James White to NBA D-League Affiliate Erie BayHawks - G League
- Austin Toros Activate JaMychal Green - Austin Spurs
- Knicks Assign Stoudemire to BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- New York Knicks Assign Amar'e Stoudemire to NBA D-League Affiliate Erie BayHawks - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.