Jacks Acquire Rights to Sawyer in Trade with Bloomington
ODESSA, TX - The Odessa Jackalopes completed a three-player trade today in which defensemen Pierre-Olivier Beaulieu and David Brown have been sent to the Bloomington Prairie Thunder in exchange for the rights to defensemen Justin Sawyer.
The 25-year-old Sawyer (SOY-yur) is no stranger to the Central Hockey League, having competed with the Oklahoma City Blazers for two years from 2007-09, and then the 2009-10 season with Bloomington. The 6'6", 240-pound defenseman was playing overseas to start this year, appearing in 11 games for the Cardiff Devils of the EIHL.
Before his time in the CHL, Sawyer played 55 games in the East Coast Hockey League over a two year span that also included time in 15 games with the American Hockey League's Toronto Marlies. Sawyer has racked up over 200 penalty minutes in each of the last three years, plus adding five goals and 30 assists. This year with Cardiff he had one goal and 80 PIM's in his 11 contests.
Beaulieu (boh-lee-YOO) and Brown were both in their first season with the Jackalopes after signing over the summer. Beaulieu is a 6'4", 215-pound blueliner who amassed five points in 17 games for Odessa -- a goal and four helpers. The former draft pick of the NHL's Detroit Red Wings played three seasons with Fresno of the ECHL and another year in Asia before coming to the CHL.
Brown is a first-year pro who appeared in 14 games with the Jackalopes while adding an assist and a +5 rating. Before signing in Odessa, the Houston, British Columbia native played a five-year career at the University of Manitoba.
The Jackalopes continue their homestand this Friday when they host the Laredo Bucks at 7:05 PM CST. The game can be heard live on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is in the middle of their 13th season in the Permian Basin. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 2, 2010
- Sundogs Can't Hold Lead, Fall 2-1 in Shootout - Arizona Sundogs
- Gems Steal One from IceMen in Overtime - Dayton Gems
- Bucks Comeback for Shootout Win - Laredo Bucks
- Sundogs Activate Sellan, Place Grenache on I.R. - Arizona Sundogs
- Odessa's Sebastien Thinel Named Sher-Wood Central Hockey League Player of the Month - CHL
- PrairieThunder Acquire Two Defensemen from Odessa Jackalopes - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Jacks Acquire Rights to Sawyer in Trade with Bloomington - Odessa Jackalopes
- PrairieThunder Head Coach Jason Christie to Serve as Symphony Guest Conductor - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Weekend Preview-Evansville - Dayton Gems
- Oilers Deliver Santa - Tulsa Oilers
- Rush Toppled 8-3 by Thunder - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.