Jackalopes Fall in Close Shootout Loss in Amarillo
AMARILLO, TX - The Jackalopes are no stranger to road losses post-regulation this year. They all hurt, they all sting. Especially so when you feel you were the better team on the ice. The single point you walk away with is little consolation.
That was the case on Friday as the Odessa Jackalopes (7-12-2-1) fell to the Amarillo Bulls (10-6-2-1) in the shootout 2-1 at the Budweiser Bull Pen.
After a scoreless first period, The Jackalopes gave up the first goal on an awkward play as the puck deflected off a Jacks defenseman behind the net on a routine reverse, before finding two Amarillo Bulls in front of the net.
A quick passing play made it 1-0 Amarillo in the opening minute of the second period. The Jackalopes quickly went on the attack and had many good chances on net. But former Odessa goaltender Andrew Takacs was able to hold his old team at bay. At least until the late stages of the third period.
On Odessa's only power play opportunity of the game, they were able to cash in thanks go Gabe Bennett who followed up his own rebound on the right side and stuffed a shot into the back of the net to tie the game.
The third period saw Jackalopes netminder Connor Hasley made several highlight quality saves as he was peppered with 18 shots in the third period alone. Hasley made 46 on the evening, just two shy of his career high. In overtime, the Jackalopes had several chances, as did Amarillo, but neither team could find the back of the net.
In the shootout, the Jacks gave up the first goal and could not find the back of the net again in the shootout to fall 2-1 on the contest.
Odessa gained one point in the standings and have a chance to go for the weekend split tomorrow at 7:05 pm.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2021
- Bulls Win over Odessa - Amarillo Bulls
- Jackalopes Fall in Close Shootout Loss in Amarillo - Odessa Jackalopes
- Norsemen Fall in Weekend Opener to Bobcats - St. Cloud Norsemen
- Ahearn Nets Hat Trick against Hat Tricks - Hawks Win 5-4 - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Mountain, Kollen Lead Black Bears to 4-1 Win - Maryland Black Bears
- Jets Schedule Exhibition Series at USHL Green Bay - Janesville Jets
- Weekend Preview: Generals "Host" Titans for Two Game Series - New Jersey Titans
- Black Bears Tender '03 Forward Dimitry Kebreau - Maryland Black Bears
- Comeback Falls Short, Bruins Dropped by Fairbanks, 5-4 - Austin Bruins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.