Islanders Roll in to Moncton for Monday Matinee
It's a long weekend for everyone in Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick, and that includes the Charlottetown Islanders and Moncton Wildcats.
The Maritime Division rivals will meet in a rare Monday afternoon matchup at the Avenir Centre in a tale of two teams trending in opposite directions. The Wildcats have come off a stretch of six straight losses and parlayed it in to five straight victories, while the Islanders have won just once in their last seven games despite some great performances.
The result has been a shift in the Eastern Conference standings; with the Islanders loss Saturday against Halifax and the Wildcats victory over Saint John, Moncton leapfrogged Charlottetown for fifth in the conference.
The key to success for the Islanders will be simple - score goals. The Isles have been shut out twice since February 8th after having scored at least one goal in each game this season up until that point. The Isles have scored three goals or less in regulation five times in February; they'll have an opportunity to do so against a Moncton team that they've scored four or more goals against in regulation four times this season.
The Wildcats meanwhile have had little trouble putting the puck in the net, having scored four or more goals in each of their last five games. One of the leaders in that regard has been Summerside native Jeremy McKenna. Moncton's leading scorer has recorded points in six straight games, including a 3-point performance in his last game, a 5-3 victory over the Gatineau Olympiques. McKenna has already set career-highs across the board in goals, assists, and points; With 82 points in 56 games this season, he still has an outside shot of cracking the 100-point plateau before the end of the season.
All of tomorrow afternoon's action can be heard live on Fair Isle Ford Isles Radio! George Matthews and Aidan Northcott will have the call live from the Avenir Centre.
• Discuss this story on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League message board...
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Stories from February 18, 2019
- Big Performance Top to Bottom as Islanders Defeat Wildcats on Islander Day - Charlottetown Islanders
- QMJHL Team of the Week Announced for Week 21 - QMJHL
- Maxime Comtois Named Ultramar Player of the Week - QMJHL
- Islanders Roll in to Moncton for Monday Matinee - Charlottetown Islanders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlottetown Islanders Stories
- Isles Sweep Rivalry Weekend with Second Straight Victory over Sea Dogs
- Islanders and Sea Dogs Wrap up Rivalry Week Tonight at Harbour Station
- Isles Give up Four-Goal Lead, But Still Take Two Points from Saint John
- Rivalry Week Begins with Isles Welcoming Sea Dogs to Town
- Alexandrov Scores Twice, But Isles Lose Third Overtime Game this Season