Big Performance Top to Bottom as Islanders Defeat Wildcats on Islander Day
The Charlottetown Islanders and Moncton Wildcats are two teams that have been trending in opposite directions. Coming in to this game the Wildcats had won five in a row, while Charlottetown had lost five of their past six games.
From the play on the ice, you never would have guessed it.
The Islanders were hot immediately from the outset and kept the pressure on the Wildcats throughout the game, and received contributions on the scoresheet from unlikely sources. Xavier Fortin, Zac Beauregard, and Cole Edwards were among the goalscorers for Charlottetown as they defeated the Moncton Wildcats 4-0 on Islander Day.
Beauregard kicked off the scoring in the game - almost literally. Daniel Hardie directed a pass towards the front of the net where Beauregard had been taken down. The young forward's leg caught the puck and it ended up past Francis Leclerc, giving Beauregard his fifth goal of the season.
Hardie's puck luck didn't stop there; on the powerplay just minutes later, the forward would direct a puck towards the goal that would take a bounce off a Wildcats defender and past Leclerc, giving Hardie his 33rd of the season.
Fortin would extend the Islanders lead late in the first, getting a stick on a Lukas Cormier point shot and deflecting the puck past Leclerc.
From there, the Islanders shut the door, particularly Matthew Welsh. The netminder came up big on a number of occasions, making stop after stop to preserve the Islanders lead.
Edwards would add another goal in the second period but the Islanders didn't need it. The defense would come up big and the Islanders would take home a 4-0 victory.
Welsh would make 29 saves for his third shutout of the season. Hardie, Nikita Alexandrov, and Lukas Cormier would all record multi-point games.
The Islanders will stay on the road for their next game, Thursday night when they head to Bathurst to take on the Titan. The next home game for the Islanders takes place Saturday night when they take on their former nemesis Blainville-Boisbriand Armada from the Eastlink Centre at 7:00pm.
• Discuss this story on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League message board...
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Stories from February 18, 2019
- Big Performance Top to Bottom as Islanders Defeat Wildcats on Islander Day - Charlottetown Islanders
- QMJHL Team of the Week Announced for Week 21 - QMJHL
- Maxime Comtois Named Ultramar Player of the Week - QMJHL
- Islanders Roll in to Moncton for Monday Matinee - Charlottetown Islanders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlottetown Islanders Stories
- Isles Close out Regular Season in Style with 9-4 Victory over Moose
- Isles Return to Full Strength in Much-Anticipated Final Matchup with Moose
- Isles Put Damper on Final Night of Eagles' Season with 3-2 Victory
- Schedule Update for the Maritimes Division
- All Roads Lead to Sydney as Isles and Eagles Meet in Friday Night Matchup