IronBirds name radio broadcaster for 2008 season
ABERDEEN-The Aberdeen IronBirds have announced that Steve Lenox will handle the play-by-play for all 76 radio broadcasts on WAMD 970 AM during the 2008 season.
Lenox, 34, joins the Aberdeen crew after two years as a national talk-show host and play-by-play announcer for MLB Home Plate on XM satellite radio station 175. From 2001-06, he served as the director of broadcasting and media relations for the Wilmington Blue Rocks (now the Class-A-advanced affiliate of the Kansas City Royals) after a one-and- a-half-year stint in the same position with the Staten Island Yankees of the New York-Penn League.
A resident of Wilmington, Lenox also served as the assistant general manager for the NYPL's Batavia Muckdogs from 1997-98.
"I've always enjoyed this level, watching the guys get their feet wet in the pros," he said. "I'm excited for next week. I'm looking forward to the start of the season and seeing what players were drafted."
IronBirds General Manager Aaron Moszer said he's looking forward to working with Lenox, who graduated from the State University of New York Brockport with a communications degree in 1997.
"We are happy to have Steve on board," Moszer said. "We believe his experience in the industry will be of value to our organization and we know he'll do a great job of being the eyes for our fans when the team is on the road."
Nick Sekkas, who handled play-by-play duties for the IronBirds in 2007, has since moved on to work with ESPN radio affiliate WCIE-AM 1450 in Fayetteville, N.C.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from June 10, 2008
- Aberdeen IronBirds, Wawa announce promotions for 2008 - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Spikes to Hold Opening Day Carnival - State College Spikes
- IronBirds name radio broadcaster for 2008 season - Aberdeen IronBirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Aberdeen IronBirds Stories
- Aberdeen IronBirds Unveil Jam-Packed Promotional Schedule for 2017
- Aberdeen IronBirds to Honor Memory of John Carroll Student-Athlete
- RAACE and Aberdeen IronBirds to Provide Safe, Fun Family Experience
- Steamed Crabs Baseball Coming to Aberdeen this Summer
- Aberdeen IronBirds Announce Addition of New HD Video Board and Live Score Line Display