Iowa Wraps 2019 Season with Loss in Semifinals
DES MOINES, IA - The Iowa Cubs' (2-3) season concluded with a 10-5 loss to the Round Rock Express (3-2) in the PCL Semifinals, Sunday at Principal Park. One run decided four of five games of the series, while three went to extra innings.
Iowa shot to a 3-0 lead after two as four-consecutive runners reached in the first, capped by a two-RBI Jim Adduci single. Johnny Field added the I-Cubs' third run with a groundout in the second frame.
Round Rock responded in a big way, sending 11 to bat in the third. The visitors exploded for seven runs on five hits, getting a sac fly from Drew Ferguson, and RBI hits from Nick Tanielu, Alex De Goti and Jamie Ritchie.
The I-Cubs added a run in the fourth as Donnie Dewees singled in Zack Short from second, but the home team struggled to make up ground. A two-run Ferguson shot in the sixth and a solo Chas McCormick blast in the eighth added to the Express edge.
Vimael Machin gave the I-Cubs life with a solo homer in the eighth inning, but it was too little too late as Round Rock's offense out-did Iowa.
Iowa finished its campaign 75-65 in the regular season, clinching its first Division Title since 2008. The team will open the 2020 season on April 9 in Nashville, before debuting at Principal Park on Tuesday, April 14. Season tickets are available at www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 8, 2019
- Aviators' Season Ends After 7-3 Loss to Sacramento - Las Vegas Aviators
- First-inning homers spark series-clinching win over Aviators - Sacramento River Cats
- American Conference Champions: Round Rock Steamrolls Iowa 10-5 to Advance to Pacific Coast League Championship - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Wraps 2019 Season with Loss in Semifinals - Iowa Cubs
- River Cats Defeat Aviators 5-3 to Stave off Elimination - Las Vegas Aviators
- River Cats hold off Aviators to force game five - Sacramento River Cats
- Cubs Top Express 5-4 in Dramatic 11-Inning Game Four - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Wins in Extras, Forces Game Five - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.