Inaugural Pacific FC Season Kicks off April 28 against Halifax at Westhills Stadium
Victoria, BC - A coastal clash marks the launch of Pacific Football Club's inaugural Canadian Premier League season. The Vancouver Island-based club will host Halifax Wanderers FC at Westhills Stadium to kick off their first league campaign in club history.
"We have been looking forward to our first home match for some time," said Josh Simpson, president, Pacific FC. "This will be a historic day for Pacific FC and our fans."
Pacific FC has signed 11 players to their roster since November 2018. Striker Marcus Haber was announced in early 2019, the 6'3 Canadian international will help lead the team's attack against Halifax on April 28. Haber was coached by Halifax head coach Stephen Hart for many years and has respect for him as a coach and a person, but is looking for a win to start off the season.
"It's exciting for us to be able to play at home for the first game in front of our fans," said Haber. "Halifax is going to be an athletic group, full of strength and pace and we anticipate a tough match but we will be looking for a win to get off to the right start."
Pacific FC players will arrive on the Island March 1 to begin preseason. In addition to Haber, Pacific FC's roster includes Marcel de Jong, Kadin Chung, Mark Village, Ben Fisk, Victor Blasco, José Hernandez, Matthew Baldisimo, Terran Campbell, Noah Verhoeven and Alessandro Hojabrpour. Further signings will be announced in the coming weeks.
There are seven teams competing in the inaugural season of the CPL including Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Hamilton and Halifax. Pacific FC will host 15 games at Westhills Stadium in Langford, which is currently undergoing an extensive renovation to include 6,000 seats.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Premier League message board...
Canadian Premier League Stories from February 22, 2019
- FC Edmonton Announces Signings of Two International Players - FC Edmonton
- Cavalry FC to Host Inaugural Home Match on May 4, 2019 - Cavalry FC
- HFX Wanderers FC Announce Home Opener - HFX Wanderers FC
- Valour FC Announce Home Opener - Valour FC
- FC Edmonton Announces Home Opener & First Match - FC Edmonton
- Inaugural Pacific FC Season Kicks off April 28 against Halifax at Westhills Stadium - Pacific FC
- York9 FC Signs Montreal Native Diyaeddine Abzi - York9 FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.