HFX Wanderers FC Announce Home Opener
Halifax, N.S. - Saturday May 4, 2019 has been announced as the day HFX Wanderers FC will make history. That's the date of the very first home game the Wanderers will play in the Canadian Premier League at 2 p.m. AST.
Hamilton's Forge FC will be the opposition in the home opener for Halifax's newest professional sports club, at the picturesque downtown Wanderers Grounds.
"Saturday, May 4th will be an historic day for our club and for the city of Halifax and we can't wait to share the experience with 6,000 friends," said Derek Martin, the Founder and President of HFX Wanderers FC.
It's a game that will see the return of professional soccer to the region, in a brand new new seven team national league that the Wanderers are a founding member of.
"This is more than a game to look forward to," said Wanderers Head Coach Stephen Hart. "It's the actual kick-off of professional soccer in Halifax after some 30 years. As a coach you anticipate games, you love the build up to the whistle but this one is going to be special."
Hart, who has been involved in every level of the game in the province, was also a part of the TV broadcasts of the last pro team in the region, the Nova Scotia Clippers, who played one season in 1991.
The Wanderers boss and his players are feeling proud to be part of a history making new Halifax team, in a league that has a mandate to develop Canadian players.
"It's going to be something big for the city and it's going to be so good to play in front of our fans. For me as a player I want to give 100 per cent to say thank you for everything on the field," said the team's Canadian centre-back Chakib Hocine.
The region's Mayor Mike Savage is wishing the Wanderers well as the team prepares to represent Halifax on the national stage.
"Halifax has long been a great sports city, from tournaments to major event hosting, and everything in between," said Mayor Savage. "The addition of HFX Wanderers to that landscape will be a boon to the growing sport of soccer and a wonderful opportunity for fans, old and new, to cheer on the home team from an historic pitch in the heart of the city."
The May 4 home opener is the weekend after the team's first game in the Canadian Premier League, which will be in British Columbia on April 28, against Pacific FC on Vancouver Island.
2019 season memberships are still available from HFX Wanderers FC's website for fans who want to make sure they don't miss out on the action.
*Kick-off time subject to change*
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Premier League message board...
Canadian Premier League Stories from February 22, 2019
- FC Edmonton Announces Signings of Two International Players - FC Edmonton
- Cavalry FC to Host Inaugural Home Match on May 4, 2019 - Cavalry FC
- HFX Wanderers FC Announce Home Opener - HFX Wanderers FC
- Valour FC Announce Home Opener - Valour FC
- FC Edmonton Announces Home Opener & First Match - FC Edmonton
- Inaugural Pacific FC Season Kicks off April 28 against Halifax at Westhills Stadium - Pacific FC
- York9 FC Signs Montreal Native Diyaeddine Abzi - York9 FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent HFX Wanderers FC Stories
- 'Very Tough Place to Play': HFX, Eddies Leave Wanderers Grounds Wanting for More
- 3 Improvements HFX Must Make to Compete for Fall Title
- Wanderers Take Advantage of Layoff Ahead of Visit to Valour
- HFX Wanderers Reschedule Postponed Forge FC Match for Sept 18
- HFX Wanderers FC Announce Signing of Canadian Defender Duran Lee