IceRays Drop Game One 5-1 to Killer Bees
The Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees rode four first period goals past the Corpus Christi IceRays Monday night in a 5-1 win in Game One of the Southern Conference best-of-three Opening Round. The Bees took a 1-0 series lead with the victory. The series now shifts to the American Bank Center on Wednesday night at 7:05pm for Game Two the opening round. It's a must win game for the IceRays to extend their season. Tickets are available for as little as $7. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or online at www.ccrayz.com.
The Killer Bees laid a claim on the game early on with a barrage of goals in the first period. Aaron Lee got it started 52 seconds into the game taking a feed in the slot and sliding a puck underneath Tebbs to give the Bees the lead. Rio Grande extended the score to 2-0 when Topher Scott scored at 6:02. Grant Goeckner-Zoeller scored on a Bees power play at 8:19 to make it 3-0 and Jesse Bennefield made it 4-0 on a two-on one goal from the left circle at 11:19 to cap the first period scoring. The Bees outshot the Rays 15-9 in the frame.
The IceRays got on the board in the second when they set up in the offensive zone while shorthanded. Jereme Tendler found a loose puck after a shot from the blue line and buried a rebound at 12:05. But the Bees reclaimed their four goal lead in the final minute of the frame when Nic Dumoulin scored on a one-timer from the right point at19:49. The Bees took a 5-1 lead into the final period. Corpus Christi outshot Rio Grande 8-7 in the period.
Neither team scored in the final period, but bad blood boiled over as the IceRays and Bees engaged in several scrums throughout the frame.
Kris Tebbs (0-1) took the loss making 30 saves on 35 shots. Wylie Rogers (1-0) earned the win making 30 saves on 31 shots. The IceRays power play went 0-7 and the Bees went 2-11 on the man advantage. The IceRays were outshot by the Bees 35-31.
The teams will return to Corpus Christi on Wednesday night at 7:05pm for Game Two of the Opening Round series. Don't miss your chance to be part of the 2009 Ray Miron's President's Cup Playoffs. Tickets are on sale now starting at just $7. Tickets are available at the American Bank Center Box Office or Ticketmaster outlets. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 23, 2009
- Reid Steals Game One for Rocky Mountain - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bees Take Game One With 5-1 Victory - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- IceRays Drop Game One 5-1 to Killer Bees - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Ftorek falls short in 72 oz. steak challenge - Amarillo Gorillas
- Bucky Arrested By Sheriff Cuellar! Bail Set At $5 Tickets - Laredo Bucks
- Shots from the Point - CHL
- Eagles Week In Review - Colorado Eagles
- Odessa's Sebastien Thinel Named CHL's Most Valuable Player - CHL
- Bucks Offer Great Specials At Home Playoff Games - Laredo Bucks
- Sundogs to Host Player Farewell Tuesday from 6:00-8:00pm - Arizona Sundogs
- Rage Lose Aaron Davis for the Playoffs - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Season Wrap-up - Tulsa Oilers
- RiverKings Announce Playoff Ticket Information - Mississippi RiverKings
- Thunder Finishes Season - Wichita Thunder
- Playoffs Begin on Friday March 27th vs. Laredo - Odessa Jackalopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale