IceRays beat Jackalopes 2-1 in shootout
Kris Tebbs made 44 saves and stopped four of five in a shootout to lead the Corpus Christi IceRays past the Odessa Jackalopes 2-1 at the American Bank Center on Saturday night. The IceRays have now gained points in four of their last five games, and finished a busy four-game week with two wins, one loss and one shootout loss. The win improved Corpus Christi's season record to 13-14-4 on the year, and they remained in third place in the Southeast Division. The IceRays will return to the American Bank Center on Thursday, January 8th to host the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361-814-PUCK.
The teams played a scoreless first period with Odessa outshooting Corpus Christi 14-8.
In the second period, CHL leading scorer Dominic Leveille opened the scoring with a goal at 2:16 to give the Jackalopes a 1-0 lead. The IceRays answered late in the period with a power play goal from Chris Richards at 14:45. In the period's final minute, Leveille was pulled down on a breakaway and awarded a penalty shot at 19:12, but Kris Tebbs denied him and the score remained 1-1 into the third period. The Jacks outshot the Rays 17-9.
Neither team scored in the third period or in overtime and the IceRays went 2-5 in the shootout and the Jackalopes went 1-5 to give Corpus Christi the victory. Ryan Bennett and Richards scored for the IceRays while Leveille tallied for Odessa. Bennett was awarded the game winning goal - his team-leading 18th of the season.
Kris Tebbs (9-7-3) earned the win making 44 saves on 45 shots and Jeremy Symington (1-0-1) took the loss making 25 saves on 26 shots. The IceRays power play went 1-5 while the Jackalopes went 0-5 on the man advantage. The IceRays were outshot by the Jackalopes 45-27.
The IceRays will return to the American Bank Center on Thursday, January 8th when they host the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs on Radiology & Imaging Night during Z-95 and U.S. Army College Night. The first 1,000 fans at the game will receive a free IceRays jersey courtesy of Radiology & Imaging. Plus all college students with a valid school ID can get $2 discounts at the arena box office. Tickets to all IceRays games are on sale now at all Ticketmaster outlets or the American Bank Center Box Office. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or online at www.ccrayz.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2009
- Beynon's Winner Gives Scorps Victory - New Mexico Scorpions
- Sundogs Nip Mudbugs 3-1 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Rocky Mountain rolls past Amarillo, 4-1 - Amarillo Gorillas
- Kinnunen records hat trick - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Bucks Slip To Second With 4-1 Loss - Laredo Bucks
- IceRays beat Jackalopes 2-1 in shootout - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Nelson's Game Winner Beats OKC Again - Mississippi RiverKings
- Thunder Crushes Eagles - Wichita Thunder
- Jacks Fall 2-1 In Shootout to Corpus - Odessa Jackalopes
- Sundogs Continue Defensive Effort, Top Mudbugs 3-1 for Fourth-Straight Win - Arizona Sundogs
- Thunder Explodes in 7-2 Win; Ofukany Scores Hat Trick - Colorado Eagles
- Rush Top Oilers In First Meeting - Rapid City Rush
- Rage Begin '09 on a Winning Note - Rocky Mountain Rage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale