IceHogs Outshot, Overpowered by Wolves
Rosemont, IL- The Rockford IceHogs (0-2-0-0) fell 4-1 Saturday night against the Chicago Wolves (2-0-0-0) at Allstate Arena to fall behind 0-2 in the Central Division Semifinals series.
After outshooting Rockford 20-1 in the first period, the Wolves took a 2-0 lead into the intermission. The first tally came when forward Josh Leivo scored on the rebound off of the near post at 16:52 in the period. Just under two minutes later, Wolves defenseman Josh Jacobs went across the ice to forward CJ Smith who fired off a one-timer to make it a 2-0 contest at 18:42 in the opening frame.
The Wolves extended their lead in the second period when defenseman Max Lajoie ripped it up above Soderblom from the left point to make it 3-0 at 11:51.
The IceHogs cut into that lead later in the period when defenseman Alec Regula took it all the way down the ice, danced past the Wolves defenders and found the back of the net at 13:19 to pick up his first goal of the postseason and make it a 3-1 game. Soderblom picked up the primary assist on the tally.
Chicago regained a three-goal lead in the third period when forward Vasili Ponomarev worked it out from the corner and it deflected off of the skate of IceHogs defenseman Jakub Galvus.
The IceHogs finished the night with 16 shots on goal, compared to Chicago's 49.
The IceHogs and Wolves will head to Rockford for Game 3 of the series tomorrow, Sunday, May 15 at 4:00 p.m. at BMO Harris Bank Center. You can still reserve tickets for Sunday's game: https://bit.ly/39eWxe6
If necessary, Game 4 will also be in Rockford on Tuesday, May 17 at 7:00 p.m. and Game 5 will be back in Rosemont on Thursday, May 19 at 7:00 p.m.
Watch and listen to all the IceHogs 2022 Calder Cup Playoff action on the IceHogs Broadcast Network presented by BMO Harris Bank! Tune in from your favorite device, at home or on the road at IceHogs.com and on the IceHogs app! Fans can also watch every IceHogs home game and select road games this season on 23.3 Circle TV and every game on AHLTV and listen in on all of Mid-West Family's local stations including 104.9 The X, B103, 95.3 The Bull, and Rockford Greatest Hits 100.5 and featured on Rock River Current.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 14, 2022
- Wolves Seize 2-0 Series Lead - Chicago Wolves
- IceHogs Outshot, Overpowered by Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Comets Falls Short in Overtime, Americans Tie Series 1-1 - Utica Comets
- Islanders Get Past Checkers - Bridgeport Islanders
- Checkers Stumble in Game 3 Loss - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Shutout Rocket, 3-0, in Game 4 to Extend Series - Syracuse Crunch
- Section of Broad Street in Downtown Rochester Closed Sunday - Rochester Americans
- Experience on All Levels - Bridgeport Islanders
- IceHogs and Wolves Meet for Game 2 of Central Division Semifinals Tonight in Rosemont - Rockford IceHogs
- Ontario Reign Playoff Postgame Report (COL 5, ONT 4 OT) - Ontario Reign
- Heat Finish Sweep of Bakersfield with 6-4 Win - Stockton Heat
- Colorado Takes 2-0 Series Lead with 5-4 OT Win over Reign - Colorado Eagles
- Moose Beaat Admirals - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- Luke Richardson Named 40th Head Coach in Blackhawks History
- IceHogs Sign Forward Seamus Malone for 2022-23 Season
- Blackhawks Finalize Hockey Operations Leadership Team
- IceHogs Celebrate Opening Night at the BMO on Saturday, October 22
- IceHogs Re-Sign Forward Kale Howarth for 2022-23 Season