IceDogs Leave Barrie with 3-1 Win over Colts
The Niagara IceDogs got their first taste of pre-season action in nearly two weeks tonight as they took to the ice in Barrie against the Colts.
The 'Dogs were without Ben Jones, Akil Thomas, Ivan Lodnia, and Kirill Maksimov, who have been named to their respective NHL teams' training camp rosters.
In the first period, the 'Dogs got off to a slow start but goaltender Colton Incze came up big, stopping nearly all that came his way. As the period wore on, the team in front of Incze started to find their grove, making life hard for the Colts' netminder. Andrew Bruder had a great shift mid-period getting two prime scoring opportunities that just couldn't find the back of the net. In the final minutes of the period, the Colts capitalized on a short handed opportunity to take the 1-0 lead.
Less than 2 minutes into the second period, Oliver Castleman scored the IceDogs' first goal of the pre-season off a beauty feed from Phil Tomasino! Tomasino's goal seemed to give the 'Dogs life, as they drew a high sticking penalty immediately after. Although that powerplay didn't result in a powerplay, with about a minute remaining in the period Swiss-born Kyen Sopa scored a powerplay goal to take the 2-1 lead. Liam Ham was credited with the assist on Sopa's tally.
The third period began with 2-1 'Dogs lead, and on the man advantage. On another powerplay opportunity, Billy Constantinou capitalized to extend the lead to 2. Bradey Johnson and Lleyton Moore picked up the assists on the 3-1 marker. As the Colts started to press to inch closer to the IceDogs' lead, Colton Incze continued to make big saves to maintain the score.
The IceDogs took this one by a score of 3-1
We're back in action in the Niagara Region on Saturday, September 15th at the Fleming Centre in Beamsville to take on the Kitchener Rangers. Tickets to our final home pre-season game can be purchased here .
Individual tickets are now on sale. Secure your tickets to our home opener, on September 28th against the Kingston Frontenacs before they sell out!
UPCOMING GAMES *
vs Kitchener Rangers. 7:30pm at Kitchener Memorial Auditorium *
vs Kitchener Rangers. 7:00pm at Fleming Centre (Beamsville)
Images from this story
Niagara IceDogs battle the Barrie Colts in preseason action
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from September 13, 2018
- Hounds Start with Shootout Win in Sudbury - Soo Greyhounds
- Sting Sharp in Preseason Win - Sarnia Sting
- IceDogs Skate to 3-1 Win over the Colts - Barrie Colts
- IceDogs Leave Barrie with 3-1 Win over Colts - Niagara IceDogs
- Attack Trade Cole Cameron to Battalion for Draft Pick - Owen Sound Attack
- Battalion Acquires Cameron - North Bay Battalion
- Steelheads to Host IceDogs in Home Opener - Mississauga Steelheads
- Knights Implement New 50/50 Program - London Knights
- Attack Announce Annual Town Hall Meeting September 16 - Owen Sound Attack
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Niagara IceDogs Stories
- IceDogs Drop 5-4 Decision to Wolves
- IceDogs Blow Otters out of Lake Erie with 8-1 Win
- Niagara IceDogs Issue Statement Regarding OHL Sanctions
- IceDogs Games this Week: February 12th - February 18th
- Niagara IceDogs to Host Mental Health Awareness Game in Partnership with CMHA Niagara, Presented by Teachers Life