ICE Set for 2021 WHL Drafts
As the Winnipeg ICE prepare for their final two games of a current seven game homestand tomorrow (Wednesday) and Saturday versus the Edmonton Oil Kings, all 22 WHL teams are set to add to their future with a pair of WHL Drafts.
The WHL U.S. Priority Draft will take place tomorrow (Wednesday) morning at 11:00 Central time followed by the 2021 WHL Prospects Draft Thursday morning, also starting at 11:00.
The ICE currently hold the third overall selection in the WHL U.S. Priority Draft, which will consist of two rounds and 44 selections, with each WHL Club eligible to make two draft choices.
2021 WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Order of Selection
1) Seattle Thunderbirds
2) Lethbridge Hurricanes
3) Winnipeg ICE
4) Prince George Cougars
5) Saskatoon Blades
6) Swift Current Broncos
7) Tri-City Americans
8) Red Deer Rebels
9) Victoria Royals
10) Kamloops Blazers
11) Portland Winterhawks
12) Regina Pats
13) Brandon Wheat Kings
14) Everett Silvertips
15) Kelowna Rockets
16) Spokane Chiefs
17) Edmonton Oil Kings
18) Vancouver Giants
19) Calgary Hitmen
20) Medicine Hat Tigers
21) Prince Albert Raiders
22) Moose Jaw Warriors
The order of selection was determined on June 3, 2021 through the 2021 WHL U.S. Priority Draft Lottery.
Players eligible for the 2021 WHL U.S. Priority Draft are 2006-born players who reside in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.
Players not selected in the 2021 WHL U.S. Priority Draft will remain eligible to be selected in the 2021 WHL Prospects Draft on Thursday, December 9, or listed by a WHL Club at any time thereafter.
Thursday morning, the ICE currently hold the 18th overall selection for the 2021 WHL Prospects Draft. The Spokane Chiefs are set to select first-overall, as determined by the 2021 WHL Prospects Draft Lottery on June 2, 2021.
Recent Winnipeg ICE first round picks in the WHL Prospects Draft include Zach Benson (2020 - 14th overall), Matthew Savoie (2019 - 1st overall), Conor Geekie (2019 - 2nd overall), Carson Lambos (2019 - 2nd overall), Connor McClennon (2017 - 2nd overall) and Peyton Krebs (2016 - 1st overall).
The first round of the 2021 WHL Prospects Draft, including a 30-minute pre-show, will be livestreamed FREE via WHL Live on CHL TV. All that is required is to register and login using a free account with CHL TV, no subscription necessary. The 2021 WHL Prospects Draft Pre-Show begins with co-hosts Chris Wahl and Taylor Rocca.
WATCH LIVE - Pre-Show at 10:30 a.m. CT / WHL Prospects Draft at 11 a.m. CT
2021 WHL Prospects Draft - First Round Order of Selection
1) Spokane Chiefs
2) Tri-City Americans
3) Brandon Wheat Kings (from Victoria)
4) Brandon Wheat Kings (from Moose Jaw)
5) Red Deer Rebels
6) Swift Current Broncos
7) Swift Current Broncos (from Portland)
8) Medicine Hat Tigers
9) Seattle Thunderbirds
10) Lethbridge Hurricanes (from Regina)
11) Vancouver Giants
12) Calgary Hitmen
13) Prince Albert Raiders (from Edmonton via Kelowna)
14) Prince Albert Raiders
15) Prince George Cougars
16) Moose Jaw Warriors (from Victoria via Saskatoon)
17) Lethbridge Hurricanes
18) Winnipeg ICE
19) Edmonton Oil Kings
20) Everett Silvertips
21) Kamloops Blazers
22) Brandon Wheat Kings
Winnipeg also has picks in the fourth round (85th overall), sixth round (115th, 116th, 117th, 129th), eighth round (156th, 165th, 173rd) and ninth round (189th, 195th).
The order of selection for the second round and all other rounds will be the inverse order of final 2020-21 WHL Regular Season standings. The complete order of selection for the 2021 WHL Prospects Draft can be found at WHL.ca/draft.
Players eligible for the 2021 WHL Prospects Draft are 2006-born players who reside in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories, Yukon, Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.
Players not selected in the 2021 WHL Prospects Draft will remain eligible to be listed by WHL Clubs at any time thereafter.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2021
- ICE Set for 2021 WHL Drafts - Winnipeg Ice
- Winterhawks Family Set to Grow During Pair of WHL Drafts - Portland Winterhawks
- Sward Raises over $3,000 for Men's Health Through Movember - Spokane Chiefs
- Chiefs Prepare for Two Drafts, Including First Overall Pick in WHL Prospects Draft - Spokane Chiefs
- WHL Scholarships Awarded to 29 Former Chiefs for 2021-22 Academic Year - Spokane Chiefs
- Everett Silvertips Collect Franchise Record 11,096 Stuffed Animals on Teddy Bear Toss - Everett Silvertips
- 365 WHL Scholarships Awarded to Graduate Players for 2021-22 Academic Year - WHL
- Draft Week Preperation Underway - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Gameday Preview - December 7 at Brandon - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Western Hockey League to Host 2021 U.S. Priority and Prospects Drafts this Week - WHL
- CHL Team of the Week Named for November 29 - December 5 - WHL
- Teddy Bear Toss Is Back at the Brandt Centre Friday - Regina Pats
- Wheat Kings, Tigers Set to Meet Again - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Eric Jamieson, Caden Zaplitny Join Silvertips Active Roster - Everett Silvertips
- Rebels Prepared for Busy Week with Two Drafts Scheduled - Red Deer Rebels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.