Ice Flyers win sixth straight
Pensacola, Fla. - The Pensacola Ice Flyers and Mississippi RiverKings began their weekend home-and-home series in Southaven, MS. Friday night. The Ice Flyers offense came to life with six different scorers and rookie goaltender Ross MacKinnon took care of the defense in a 7-0 victory.
After his bid for his first professional shutout versus Columbus on Tuesday ended with only six minutes left in the game, MacKinnon was given the nod by Ice Flyers' head coach Gary Graham to start Friday's game. This time, he stopped everything that came his way in a 33-save shutout performance.
The first period was scoreless, but only one minute into the second, the Ice Flyers began their scoring onslaught. Jeremy Gates opened the scoring, followed by Ryan Salvis near the halfway mark of the second frame. Ryan Raven would make it 3-0 with John Dunbar scoring with a minute and a half left to end the middle period for the Ice Flyers with a 4-0 lead.
The Ice Flyers then scored a few more in the third, starting with team captain Leo Thomas. Then just 18 seconds later, Dunbar scored his second of the game. In a late power play, newly signed Ron Cramer scored in his first appearance as an Ice Flyer to finish the scoring for Pensacola's 7-0 win.
Jordan Chong had three assists and Dunbar added one helper to lead the way for Pensacola with three points each. Gates, Salvis and Thomas also added an assist to their goals for two points each.
This is Pensacola's sixth straight win on the road, as they narrowly outshot the RiverKings 34-33. Ice Flyers went one for four on power play, while the RiverKings went scoreless on the man advantage.
The same two teams travel back to Pensacola for a rematch Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. It is Mascot Night with numerous local mascots present at the game. For Ice Flyers' home games, kids under 12 and college students receive 50% off center ice tickets, just $10 each, for this and every game.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from November 23, 2012
- Ice Bears Bitten by FireAntz 5-4 - Knoxville Ice Bears
- Losing streak extends to three - Mississippi RiverKings
- Ice Flyers win sixth straight - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Surge Shut out IceGators - Louisiana IceGators
- Surge win first game of road trip - Mississippi Surge
- Surge Visit IceGators Tonight - Mississippi Surge
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Pensacola Ice Flyers Stories
- Ice Flyers End Post-Season Run Following 4-3 Triple Overtime Loss to Ice Bears
- Ice Flyers Fall 6-2 in Game 1 against Ice Bears
- Challenge Round Preview: Knoxville Ice Bears vs. Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Ice Flyers Set 19-Man Playoff Roster
- Game 1 Tickets of 2018 Challenge Round on Sale at 10:00 a.m.