Hustle Hold off Suns, Improve to 9-0
Prescott Valley, Ariz. - The Memphis Hustle improved to 9-0 on the season, defeating the Northern Arizona Suns 116-110 Tuesday night at Findlay Toyota Center. The Hustle are now tied for the most wins to start a season (2013-14 Rio Grande Valley) in league history.
The Hustle were held to season-lows in both field goal percentage (.408) and three-point percentage (.308) while the Suns finished with at least a seven percent advantage in both categories respectively, but the turnover battle proved valuable for Memphis yet again. The Hustle converted 25 Suns turnovers into 29 points, while committing just 14 of their own, and have only lost the turnover battle once this season.
Memphis was without its usual fast start, missing its first five threes as the Suns took an early lead, but the Hustle would knock down four straight threes to right the ship. A quick 9-0 run with the game tied at 24-24 late in the first helped propel the Hustle to a 35-27 advantage after the first. The Hustle ended the period shooting 56 percent from the field.
The shooting woes returned in the second as Memphis shot just 36.4 percent from the field (8-22 FG) and only 1-of-9 from three, while Northern Arizona made six of its first 12 threes overall to keep the game in single digits (61-52) at halftime. The Suns held steady in the third and kept the Hustle lead to just six entering the final frame.
Memphis couldn't quite pull away in the fourth. Josh Jackson started the quarter with a four-point play to push the lead back to double digits. The Suns, who shot 12-of-18 overall in the quarter, immediately responded with an 8-0 run to cut the lead to two before Jackson and Matt Mooney responded with consecutive threes.
Another Jackson three pushed the lead to 107-95, tied for Memphis' largest lead of the game, with 4:21 to go. Northern Arizona stayed resilient and a quick 7-0 run cut the lead back to five before Memphis was able to hold the home team off. The Hustle hit seven three-pointers in the fourth quarter, including four from Jackson alone.
Jackson (26 points, 10 rebounds) and Jarrod Uthoff (21 points, 14 rebounds) both recorded their fifth double-doubles, marking the second straight game where both players recorded a double-double. Mooney poured in a season-high 20 points to go with four assists and three steals. NBA G League Player of the Week Dusty Hannahs ran into foul trouble in the first half but managed to total 15 points and four assists on the night. Marquis Teague (14 points) and Shaq Buchanan (10 points) each scored in double figures off the bench.
Jared Harper led all players with 31 points (10-17 FG; 4-7 3P) and six assists. Ahmed Hill scored 20 of his 27 points in the first half. Daxter Miles Jr. (14 points) and Anthony Lawrence II (11 points) each chipped in with double digit efforts.
The team will continue its four-game road trip out west with a rematch against the Northern Arizona Suns on Thursday, December 5 at 7:30 p.m. inside Findlay Toyota Center. The Hustle return to Landers Center on Wednesday, December 11 to take on Midwest Division rival Sioux Falls Skyforce at 7 p.m. Tickets are still available starting at $10 each and fans wishing to attend can purchase tickets at ticketmaster.com, the Landers Center Box Office, online at MemphisHustle.com or by calling (901) 888-HOOP.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 4, 2019
- Knicks Fourth Quarter Surge Puts Warriors Away 104-100 - Westchester Knicks
- Suspended Memphis Hustle Game Rescheduled for Sunday, March 15 Inside FedExForum at 1 p.m. - Memphis Hustle
- AUSTIN SPURS ANNOUNCE February 23 GAME CHANGE - Austin Spurs
- Cavaliers Assign Dylan Windler to Canton Charge - Canton Charge
- Suspended Game Between Iowa Wolves and Memphis Hustle Rescheduled for March 15 - Iowa Wolves
- Suspended Game Between Memphis Hustle and Iowa Wolves Rescheduled for March 15 - G League
- Fwd: Mavericks Recall Isaiah Roby from Texas Legends - Texas Legends
- Hornets Recall Cody Martin from Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- PS&E Season of Giving "Basketballidays" to Visit Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- NAZ Suns Hang Tough with Undefeated Hustle - Northern Arizona Suns
- Hustle Hold off Suns, Improve to 9-0 - Memphis Hustle
- Blue Coats Defeat Raptors 905 for Third-Straight Victory - Delaware Blue Coats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Hustle Stories
- Hustle Snap Five-Game Road Losing Streak in Matinee Win over Clippers
- Four Hustle Players Selected to Western Conference Midseason All-NBA G League Team
- Shorthanded Hustle Fall to Lakers 115-106 to Begin West Coast Trip
- Memphis Grizzlies Acquire Jordan Bell from Houston Rockets
- Endya Buford Recognized as Memphis Hustle High School Top Performer of the Month Presented by Campbell Clinic