Houston Dynamo FC Re-Sign Midfielder Matias Vera
HOUSTON - Houston Dynamo FC re-signed midfielder Matias Vera through the 2023 MLS season with a club option for 2024, the Club announced today.
"We are excited to extend Matias' tenure with the Club," Dynamo General Manager Pat Onstad said. "Matias gives us a lot of flexibility and depth in midfield and is a player that brings passion and commitment to the locker room. We look forward to having Matias and his family join us at PNC Stadium in 2022 and beyond."
Vera will return for his fourth season with the Dynamo in 2022 after joining Houston on a full transfer from San Lorenzo on Dec. 21, 2018. Vera has appeared in 80 league games for the Dynamo and made his debut with the Club in the Round of 16 fixture against CD Guastatoya in the 2019 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League.
"I am very grateful to the club, they have been fantastic throughout this process and it is clear that we have unfinished business," Vera said. "I am excited about the possibilities, this is a new era for the club and the type of project you want to be a part of."
Primarily a defensive midfielder, the 26-year-old split time in an attacking role this season which led to three goals and one assist. Vera also made his presence felt in the defensive third of the field with 29 tackles won and 152 recoveries, both the second highest mark on the team. Offensively, Vera created 27 chances this season tied for the third most on the team.
A shortened season in 2020 saw Vera finish with 109 recoveries and 30 tackles, both the second highest mark for a Dynamo midfielder that season. The midfielder also wore the captain's armband 11 times for the Dynamo in 2020.
Vera was voted the team's Most Valuable Player and Newcomer of the Year in 2019, his first season with the Dynamo. The midfielder finished with 102 tackles and tallied an assist in 30 league games.
The 26-year-old will occupy an international roster spot.
TRANSACTION: The Houston Dynamo re-sign midfielder Matias Vera.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 29, 2021
- MLS Disciplinary Committee & Independent Review Panel Decisions Announced - MLS
- Houston Dynamo FC Re-Sign Midfielder Matias Vera - Houston Dynamo FC
- Top-Seeded Revolution Host New York City FC in Eastern Conference Semifinals - New England Revolution
- Injury Report: Two out for New England - New York City FC
- LA Galaxy Announce 2021 Roster Decisions - LA Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Part Ways with Midfielder Jonathan Dos Santos - LA Galaxy
- How Charlotte FC's Academy Is Raising the Level of Play as It Grows - Charlotte FC
- Inter Miami CF Assistant Coach Anthony Pulis Departs Club for New Opportunity - Inter Miami CF
- D.C. United Announce Year-End Roster Decisions Ahead of 2022 MLS Season - D.C. United
- Bruce Arena Voted 2021 Sigi Schmid MLS Coach of the Year - New England Revolution
- New England Revolution's Bruce Arena Named 2021 MLS Sigi Schmid Coach of the Year - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo FC Stories
- Houston Dynamo FC Announce Ticket Promotions for 2022 Season
- Houston Dynamo FC and Houston Dash Volunteer at Hope Farms with Recipe for Success on Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Houston Dynamo FC Acquire International Roster Spot from San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo FC Acquire Sebastián Ferreira as Most Expensive Signing in Club History
- Four Houston Dynamo Academy Players Receive Invites for U.S. Youth National Team Camp