Houston Dynamo FC Announce Roster Decisions
HOUSTON - Houston Dynamo FC declined the contract options of forward Darwin Quintero, midfielder Memo Rodriguez and defender Zeca, the Club announced today. In total, the Dynamo declined eight contract options following the 2022 season and enter the offseason with 11 open roster spots, including eight senior roster spots.
"It is not easy to say goodbye to players like Darwin, Memo, and Zeca, who made significant contributions on the field, in the locker room, and in the community. However, we are moving the club in a different direction this offseason and we felt these decisions were in the best interest of the players and Houston Dynamo FC," said Dynamo general manager, Pat Onstad. "We want to thank Darwin, Memo, and Zeca for their service to club and the city of Houston, and we wish them well."
Houston announced earlier this month that the team exercised 2023 contract options on forward Corey Baird and defenders Ethan Bartlow, Griffin Dorsey and Adam Lundqvist. Houston also announced that the club declined the 2022 contract options for forward Mateo Bajamich, defender Ian Hoffman, midfielder Marcelo Palomino, forward Thiago and defender Zarek Valentin.
The club extended a bona fide offer to Sam Junqua earlier this month. Junqua and midfielder Darwin Cerén were out of contract following the 2022 season.
Houston opened two additional senior roster spots by trading forward Fafa Picault to Nashville SC on Nov. 9 for up to $250,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM). The Dynamo acquired an additional $500,000 in GAM two days later when the team traded defender Tim Parker to St. Louis CITY SC.
The Dynamo enter the 2023 season with the following 15 players under contract: forward Beto Avila, midfielder Adalberto "Coco" Carrasquilla, midfielder Juan Castilla, goalkeeper Steve Clark, forward Sebas Ferreira, defender Teenage Hadebe, midfielder Héctor Herrera, goalkeeper Michael Nelson, midfielder Brooklyn Raines, midfielder Daniel Rios, defender Daniel Steres, forward Thor Úlfarsson, goalkeeper Xavier Valdez, midfielder Matias Vera. Forward Nelson Quiñónes remains on the roster on loan from Once Caldas S.A. in Colombia.
Houston's updated roster can be found below listed alphabetically by position:
Goalkeepers (3): Steve Clark, Michael Nelson, Xavier Valdez
Defenders (5): Ethan Bartlow, Griffin Dorsey, Teenage Hadebe, Adam Lundqvist, Daniel Steres
Midfielders (6): Adalberto Carrasquilla, Juan Castilla, Héctor Herrera, Brooklyn Raines, Daniel Rios, Matías Vera
Forwards (5): Beto Avila, Corey Baird, Sebas Ferreira, Nelson Quiñónes, Thor Úlfarsson
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 16, 2022
- Sounders FC Announces Results of 2022 General Manager Vote and Brand Evolution Details for March to the 50th Campaign - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC to Host Two Watch Parties Next Week to Kick off the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ - Los Angeles FC
- FC Cincinnati Academy Continues to Build on Positive Results - FC Cincinnati
- HDFC Announce Local Fan Events for FIFA World Cup - Houston Dynamo FC
- FC Dallas Signs Defender Nolan Norris to Homegrown Contract - FC Dallas
- Academy Duo Nicholas Almeida and Santiago Morales Called up by U.S. U-16 MYNT - Inter Miami CF
- Timbers Sign Defender Claudio Bravo to a Contract Extension - Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps FC Sign MLS NEXT Pro Wingback Ali Ahmed to an MLS Contract Through 2025 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy to Host 2022 FIFA World Cup Watch Parties at Hermosa Beach Pier Plaza - LA Galaxy
- Mayor Adams Unveils Vision for Willets Point Transformation, Generational 100 Percent Affordable Housing Project, Privately Financed Soccer Stadium - New York City FC
- Revolution Academy Product Peyton Miller Called up to U.S. Under-16 Men's Youth National Team - New England Revolution
- U.S. Youth National Team Call-Ups for U-16 Charlotte FC Academy PlayersÃÂ - Charlotte FC
- A Tribute to St. Louis: St. Louis CITY SC Unveils the Club's Inaugural Home Kit - St. Louis City SC
- LAFC, LAFC Foundation & Chevron Unveil Futsal Court at Prairie Vista Middle School in Hawthorne - Los Angeles FC
- Apple and Major League Soccer Announce MLS Season Pass Launches February 1, 2023 - MLS
- How Sabor Brought Authentic Latino Flavor to Charlotte and the Carolinas - Charlotte FC
- Toronto FC Receive GAM from Nashville SC in Exchange for Jacob Shaffelburg - Toronto FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Announces Roster Status Ahead of the 2023 Season - Nashville SC
- D.C. United Re-Establish the D.C. United Foundation - D.C. United
- MLS Announces Eligible Player Lists for Offseason Roster Mechanisms - MLS
- Houston Dynamo FC Announce Roster Decisions - Houston Dynamo FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo FC Stories
- Dynamo Academy FW Zeke Soto Named to the U-17 U.S. Youth National Team for 2023 Concacaf Men's U-17 Championship
- Houston Dynamo FC Use TAM to Sign Attacker Amine Bassi
- Houston Dynamo Football Club Signs Agreement with Arca Continental Coca-Cola Southwest Beverages
- Houston Dynamo FC to Face Santos Laguna and Orlando City SC in the Leagues Cup 2023
- Houston Dynamo FC Hire SRC FTBL to Build Analytics Department