Houston Dash to Make History as They Visit Tigres Femenil in Monterrey
HOUSTON - The Houston Dash will make history when they step away from NWSL play and travel south of the border to take on the two-time LigaMX Femenil champion Tigres U.A.N.L. on Saturday, Oct. 5.
The Dash will be the first NWSL club to play outside the United States when they take the pitch at the legendary Estadio Universitario in Monterrey. The match will be played during the week of FIFA break.
This season, the Dash have been led by forward Rachel Daly and Mexican American star Sofia Huerta, who have each scored five goals on the season. Daly was an outstanding piece for the England Women's National Team this summer at the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup, where the Lionesses reached the semifinals and earned fourth place in the tournament.
Huerta bagged a brace in Houston's 2-1 win over Utah Royals FC on Friday night, giving her five goals on the year. Daly assisted on one and midfielder Kristie Mewis set up the other. Mewis is another key piece to Houston's attack, chalking up three goals this season.
Veteran defender Amber Brooks serves as the anchor of the backline alongside Haley Hanson, who recently captained the U-23 U.S. Women's National Team in the 2019 Nordic Cup. Both share the co-captain band on the team.
In goal, keeper Jane Campbell has been vital for Houston, tallying 54 saves and five clean sheets during the season. The goalie broke the record for penalties saved in one season in the NWSL with four saves.
Tigres started their season strong, staying undefeated throughout eight games with four victories and four draws. Forward Katty Martínez has led the Monterrey team to most of their victories with six goals scored throughout their season. The club currently sits in the third place of the LIGA MX Femenil with 16 points, and is looking to earn their third consecutive league title this season.
Houston will look to bring home a victory in the historic match at "El Volcán ", the stadium that hosts 42,000 of one of the biggest fanbases in the world.
Houston Dash vs. Tigres U.A.N.L.
International Friendly Match
Saturday, October 5
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from September 14, 2019
- Heather O'Reilly Scores One of Six Goals in NC Courage Match Celebrating Her Career - North Carolina Courage
- Spirit Draw Reign FC in Dramatic Match at Audi Field - Washington Spirit
- Onumonu's Stoppage-Time Goal Earns Road Draw with Washington - OL Reign
- Orlando Pride Fall to Defending Champions on Saturday Night - Orlando Pride
- Houston Dash to Make History as They Visit Tigres Femenil in Monterrey - Houston Dash
- Know Your Opponent | North Carolina Courage - Orlando Pride
- Match Preview: Sky Blue FC vs Chicago Red Stars at Yurcak Field - Sky Blue FC
- Storylines | Pride vs. North Carolina Courage - Orlando Pride
- Utah Royals FC Unbeaten Streak Ends at Five in 2-1 Loss in Houston - Utah Royals FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dash Stories
- Houston Dynamo Football Club and Houston Dash Unveil New Club Initiatives, Brand Identity and Primary Badges
- Dash and Head Coach James Clarkson agree to new contract
- Dash FW Rachel Daly Called up by England for October Friendly vs. Germany
- Dash close NWSL Fall Series with 2-1 win over Orlando Pride
- Three Points: Dash Visit Orlando Pride for Final Match of 2020 Verizon Community Shield on Friday