Houston Dash Announce 2021 28-Player Roster
The Houston Dash announced their 28-player roster today ahead of the 2021 National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) Challenge Cup presented by Secret Deodorant and regular season.
Houston is set to kick off their Challenge Cup title defense on Friday, April 9 when they welcome the Chicago Red Stars to BBVA Stadium for the opening game of the 2021 NWSL Challenge Cup presented by Secret Deodorant. The rematch of the 2020 Challenge Cup Final is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. CDT as forward Kealia Watt and Chicago return to East Downtown for the first time since 2019. The match will air live on CBS SportsNetwork.
Following the Challenge Cup, the NWSL's 10 teams will face off in a 24-game regular season beginning May 15, 2021. The league will not break for the 2021 Olympic Games and the regular season will conclude on Oct. 30, 2021. Full details on the Challenge Cup format and the complete regular season schedule will be released at a later date.
The Dash added midfielder Zandy Soree and forward Michelle Alozie as National Team Replacement Players while Houston's U.S. Women's National Team players Jane Campbell and Kristie Mewis; Canadian defender Allysha Chapman, midfielder Sophie Schmidt and forward Nichelle Prince; and England forward Rachel Daly travel to Europe for international duty. Soree and Alozie's contracts will go through April 14.
Soree, 22, joins Houston after spending this preseason as a Non-Roster Invitee in Head Coach James Clarkson's squad. The American-born Belgian joined the Orlando Pride 2020 Fall Series roster after spending four years at the University of Central Florida from 2016-19. In that span, she totaled 67 appearances with 55 starts, netting 14 goals with 11 assists for the Knights. Soree was named to the American Athletic Conference All-Rookie team after her freshman campaign and was most recently featured on the American Athletic Conference All-Conference Second Team.
On the international stage, the midfielder has appeared for the Belgian U-17, U-19 and senior national teams, with three caps for the senior side, the first of which came in 2019.
Alozie, 22, came to Houston for the 2021 preseason after spending a season with BIIK Kazygurt, the 13-time national champion of Kazakhstan. Alozie spent three months there before returning to the U.S. due to the COVID-19 pandemic that ended her time there earlier than planned.
In her stellar collegiate career, the Apple Valley, California native spent three years at Yale scoring 19 goals and tallying 13 assists, earning Ivy League Co-Offensive Player of the Year honors, as well as first-team all-conference recognition. As a graduate student, Alozie joined the University of Tennessee for her last season, finishing with three goals in 17 appearances for the Lady Vols.
The full Dash roster for the 2021 season can be found below.
2021 Houston Dash Roster (28)
Goalkeepers (3): Jane Campbell (ALL-USA), Amanda Dennis, Lindsey Harris
Defenders (6): Deneisha Blackwood (INTL), Allysha Chapman (ALL-CAN), Katie Naughton, Megan Oyster, Ally Prisock, Annika Schmidt
Midfielders (11): Shea Groom, Haley Hanson, Amber Marshall, Kristie Mewis (ALL-USA), Christine Nairn, Emily Ogle, Cami Privett, Gabby Seiler, Sophie Schmidt (ALL-CAN), Zandy Soree (NTRP), Bri Visalli
Forwards (8): Michelle Alozie (NTRP), Bridgette Andrzejewski, Rachel Daly (INTL), Jamia Fields, Veronica Latsko, Nichelle Prince (ALL-CAN), Maegan Rosa, Katie Stengel
NRI - Non-Roster Invitee
NYR - Not Yet Reported to Camp
INTL - International Player
ALL - 2021 Allocated Player
NTRP - National Team Replacement Player
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from April 5, 2021
- Sky Blue FC Announces 24-Player Roster Ahead of Challenge Cup - Sky Blue FC
- NC Courage Announces 2021 Roster - North Carolina Courage
- Thorns FC Announce Roster Ahead of 2021 NWSL Challenge Cup Opener on April 9 at Providence Park - Portland Thorns FC
- Kansas City NWSL Announces 2021 28-Player Roster - Kansas City
- Houston Dash Unveil 2021 Luv Ya Dash Secondary Kits - Houston Dash
- Orlando Pride Roster Update Ahead of 2021 Challenge Cup Play - Orlando Pride
- Kansas City NWSL Forward Called up for International Duty with Argentina - Kansas City
- NC Courage May 1st Match vs. Orlando Sold Out - North Carolina Courage
- OL Reign Announces 28-Player Roster Prior to Challenge Cup - OL Reign
- Racing Signs Five Trialists to Round out Roster - Racing Louisville FC
- NWSL, Soccer Partners Introduce New Concussion Protocol - NWSL
- Houston Dash Announce 2021 28-Player Roster - Houston Dash
- Sky Blue FC DefenderEstelle Johnson Joins Cameroon Ahead of Olympic Qualifiers against Chile - Sky Blue FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dash Stories
- Historic Evening Ends with Emotional Farewell at BBVA Stadium
- Christine Nairn Reflects on her Final Match as a Professional Player
- Houston Dash Defeat Tigres Femenil 5-1 in First Women's International Club Friendly at BBVA Stadium
- Houston Dash Host Mexican Powerhouse Tigres Femenil on Sunday
- Dash MF Christine Nairn Announces Retirement