Hounds Sweep Cardinals, Win Fifth Straight
Kyle Friedrichs was outstanding and the RockHounds backed him by playing "short-porch longball" to complete a three-game sweep of the Springfield Cardinals with a 7-2 win Sunday afternoon at Security Bank Ballpark.
Greg Deichmann broke a 1-1 tie with a solo home run in the second inning, sending a line drive into the right field (short porch) bullpen and back-to-back drives to the same spot in the yard off the bats of Nate Mondou and Edwin Diaz in the third put the RockHounds on top, 5-1. Dan Gamache singled to open the third and Mondou took Tommy Parsons' 0-2 pitch into the bullpen for a two-run home run and Diaz followed on the very next pitch with a solo drive (his team-leading 14th, see below).
Friedrichs (see below) allowed one run and scattered six hits, striking out four while not walking a batter, over seven innings to earn the win.
The victory, which came in the club's final home game of the regular season, was the RockHounds' fifth straight and the eighth in their last 10 games.
The Texas League South Division
Amarillo (5-2 at Arkansas) and the RockHounds won on Sunday, while Corpus Christi fell, 6-2, at Tulsa, and Frisco dropped a 5-3 decision to NW Arkansas in the Metroplex.
Amarillo's lead over the 'Hounds stays at two games in the second half race with the Hooks now four games out and Frisco 4½ back.
Sunday's results gave the RockHounds' playoff push a major boost, gaining a game over both Corpus Christi and Frisco. The 'Hounds (67-64) lead the Hooks (64-66) by three games and Frisco (63-67) by 3½.
There are just eight (8) games remaining in the Texas League's 2019 regular season. Amarillo and Corpus Christi play their eight remaining games at home while the RockHounds and RoughRiders are on the road.
Chase Calabuig (1-for-3, two runs, double, two walks) is 11-for-16 in his last four games ... and has reached base in 15-of-20 plate appearances ... with six runs, three doubles and six RBI.
Edwin Diaz celebrated his 24th birthday by going 2-for-4 with a solo home run and two RBI. The 'Hounds shortstop has hit in 10-of-his-last-11 games (14-42, .333) with nine runs, five doubles, one triple, four home runs and 17 RBI. He leads the Texas League with 36 doubles and 57 extra-base hits ... and is now third in the league with 72 RBI.
In his last eight appearances (seven starts), Kyle Friedrichs is 3-2, with a 2.56 ERA. He now has enough innings to officially qualify among the Texas League leaders and ranks third in ERA (3.57).
Monday, August 26 vs. NW Arkansas Naturals
Arvest Ballpark Springdale, Arkansas
First pitch 7:05 p.m.
- First of a four-game series and an eight-game road trip
- Radio: NewsTalk 550 with Bob Hards ... airtime 7:00 p.m.
NWA: T B A (RH, 4-5, 5.00)
RH: Grant Holmes (RH, 6-4, 3.26)
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 26, 2019
- Naturals Win Opener Behind Stellar Singer Start - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Hooks Avoid No-Hit Bid by Travelers - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Riders Prevail in Latest Extra-Inning Affair - Frisco RoughRiders
- Jose Martinez, Austin Gomber, Tyler O'Neill to Springfield for Expected Rehab - Springfield Cardinals
- Brett Conine Named TL Pitcher of the Week - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Sod Poodles to Donate $7,500 to Local Charities on Behalf of Padres Foundation - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Final Homestand Highlights: August 26 - September 2 - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Hounds Sweep Cardinals, Win Fifth Straight - Midland RockHounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Midland RockHounds Stories
- Luzardo Electric in Scoreless 1st Start
- MLB Officially Announces Cancellation of 2020 Minor League Season
- Update for All USA Softball Ticket PurchasersÃÂ
- USA Softball Postpones "Stand Beside Her Tour" Due to COVID-19 Pandemic
- Update on Midland RockHounds 2020 Season