Hernandez Shuts Express Down
ROUND ROCK - Friday night's game slipped away from Polin Trinidad and the Express with one pitch, and Tacoma (55-59) locked up its third win in a row over Round Rock (49-65), 5-2.
The game started well for Round Rock, as Reggie Abercrombie led off the bottom of the first inning with a triple, and Tommy Manzella brought him home with a sacrifice fly to deep right field to make it 1-0.
Tacoma evened the score when Brad Nelson hit the first pitch of the second inning onto the right field berm.
The score stayed locked up at 1-1 through the fifth inning, but in the sixth, Trinidad got into trouble. With one out, Oswaldo Navarro singled up the middle, and Jerry Owens did exactly the same to put runners at first and second for Matt Tuiasosopo, who lined to left field to bring home Navarro and put runners at first and third for Mike Carp. Carp came through with the count 1-1, launching a hanging curve ball over the right field fence to make it 5-1, Tacoma.
Abercrombie started his second scoring rally of the game in the bottom of the sixth inning, leading off with a single to right field. Manzella brought him home again, this time with a double to left field, making it 5-2, Tacoma.
That was the biggest rally the Express could come up with on the night, though.
Trinidad left the game after seven innings of work, allowing five runs on six hits with five strikeouts and earning his third loss of the season for Round Rock.
Round Rock managed just five hits on the night against Tacoma pitching, with Abercrombie grabbing two of those hits.
Rainier starter Gaby Hernandez exited after seven innings, allowing two runs on four hits with four strikeouts, notching his fifth win of the year for Tacoma.
Round Rock tries to avoid the series sweep Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. with right-hander Jose Capellan taking the mound against Rainier right-hander Brandon Morrow.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 7, 2009
- Z's Fall in 9th - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Portland Overcomes Albequerque - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sky Sox Fall to Sounds, 5-2 in Second Game - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Late HRs Push Beavers to Victory - Portland Beavers
- Gulin, Sounds Down Sox In 7-Inning Contest - Nashville Sounds
- Sky Sox Rally Past Sounds In Completion Of Suspended Game - Nashville Sounds
- Aces Fall to Cubs - Reno Aces
- Cubs Pick Up a Win - Iowa Cubs
- Sky Sox Rally For 4-3 Walk Off Win Over Nashville - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Hernandez Shuts Express Down - Round Rock Express
- The Simpsons Documentary To Visit Isotopes Park - Albuquerque Isotopes
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Eric Maynor to Throw Out First Pitch at Tonight's Bees Game - Salt Lake Bees
- Special Perfect Game Presentation Today at Security Service Field - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Nashville Eeks Out 8-7 Win Over Colorado Springs - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Sounds Win Wild One Against Sky Sox, 8-7 - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.