Nashville Eeks Out 8-7 Win Over Colorado Springs
The Nashville Sounds held off the Colorado Springs Sky Sox for an 8-7 victory on Thursday evening at Security Service Field in front of 3,914 fans. The Sky Sox had a chance to tie it in the ninth with a runner on third and one out but Sounds' shortstop Alcides Escobar made a diving stop on a sharp grounder off the bat of Kenny Perez and threw the runner out at home to preserve the win.
The two teams traded blows early in the game as the scoring went back and forth. Nashville took early leads of, 2-0, 4-1 and 7-3 before the Sox came back to score two runs in the fifth and eighth innings to tie the game up at seven all. In the eighth, reliever Matt Ginter got two quick outs before giving up a triple to Eric Young Jr. and a walk to Mike McCoy. John Axford (2-0) came in to spell Ginter but certainly didn't provide much relief. Axford proceed to walk the first three hitters he faced to force in two runs before getting pinch-hitter Jonathan Herrera to line out to first baseman Joe Koshansky to end the inning.
With the game tied heading into the ninth, the Sounds rallied against Scott Munter (4-4) to take the lead on a single, an error, two stolen bases and a wild pitch.
Esmil Rogers started for the Sox and got roughed up for seven runs on nine hits and three walks over just four innings of work. For the Sounds, Chris Cody took the hill and gave up five runs over six innings but pitched well enough to get the win.
Tomorrow night will feature the resumption of the suspended game from Wednesday night at 5:00 PM followed by the regularly scheduled game which has been shortened to seven innings. The suspended game will see RH Adam Eaton (3-3, 2.64) for the Sounds and LH Sam Narron (1-4, 5.66) for the Sounds take over. Game two will feature a battle of lefties as the Sox send out LH Kurt Birkins (2-1, 3.74) to take on LH Lindsey Gulin (5-7, 4.44).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 7, 2009
- Z's Fall in 9th - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Portland Overcomes Albequerque - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sky Sox Fall to Sounds, 5-2 in Second Game - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Late HRs Push Beavers to Victory - Portland Beavers
- Gulin, Sounds Down Sox In 7-Inning Contest - Nashville Sounds
- Sky Sox Rally Past Sounds In Completion Of Suspended Game - Nashville Sounds
- Aces Fall to Cubs - Reno Aces
- Cubs Pick Up a Win - Iowa Cubs
- Sky Sox Rally For 4-3 Walk Off Win Over Nashville - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Hernandez Shuts Express Down - Round Rock Express
- The Simpsons Documentary To Visit Isotopes Park - Albuquerque Isotopes
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Eric Maynor to Throw Out First Pitch at Tonight's Bees Game - Salt Lake Bees
- Special Perfect Game Presentation Today at Security Service Field - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Nashville Eeks Out 8-7 Win Over Colorado Springs - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Sounds Win Wild One Against Sky Sox, 8-7 - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Springs Sky Sox Stories
- O'Neill's Three-Home Run Game Powers Redbirds Past Sky Sox
- Sky Sox Routed 10-1 by Redbirds Saturday Night
- Sky Sox Unveil Five Finalists for New Baseball Team Name
- Sky Sox Walk-Off in Back-And-Forth Duel with Express
- Blanco's Home Run Averts Shutout, Sky Sox Split Series with 'Cakes