Aces Fall to Cubs
DES MOINES, Iowa.-Reno put together a comeback effort in the ninth inning Friday night, but the effort fell short, as the Iowa Cubs topped the Aces, 4-2, in front of 12,772 fans at Principal Park.
The Aces, who were held to just five hits and were 1-for-11 with runners in scoring position, went to the game's final frame trailing 4-1. In the ninth, a walk for Chris Roberson and a single by Agustin Murillo brought the tying run to the plate with nobody out. A Cole Gillespie RBI single cut the deficit to 4-2 and brought the go-ahead run to the plate with no outs in the inning. But from there, Abraham Nunez struck out, Luke Carlin flew out and Brandon Watson lined out to quell the rally.
Friday's loss fell to Aces starter Seth Etherton (9-7), who allowed four runs on 11 hits over 4.1 innings of work. Three Reno relievers combined to hold the I-Cubs off the scoreboard over the final 3.2 innings.
Casey Fossum (3-4) picked up the victory for Iowa, scattering just a run on two hits over six innings of work. Vince Perkins bent, but didn't break, in the ninth to collect his second save.
Friday saw a pair of consecutive on-base streaks come to an end for Reno. Brandon Allen entered the game with the Pacific Coast League's longest active consecutive-game on-base streak at 25, which came to a close after an 0-for-4 night at the plate. Carlin's 26-game road on-base streak came to an end as well after he was retired in his lone plate appearance of the day, a pinch-hit appearance in the ninth.
Reno looks to salvage a series split in the finale Saturday night at Principal Park. Reno will turn to RHP Hector Ambriz (5-8, 5.65 ERA) and the I-Cubs will counter with RHP Mitch Atkins (6-10, 6.71 ERA) First pitch is set for 5:05 p.m. PT and the action can be heard live on Fox Sports Radio 1450 AM.
The Aces return home Friday, August 14, for an eight-game homestand. For tickets, stop by the Aces Ballpark Box Office, call (775) 334-7000 or visit www.RenoAces.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 7, 2009
- Z's Fall in 9th - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Portland Overcomes Albequerque - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sky Sox Fall to Sounds, 5-2 in Second Game - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Late HRs Push Beavers to Victory - Portland Beavers
- Gulin, Sounds Down Sox In 7-Inning Contest - Nashville Sounds
- Sky Sox Rally Past Sounds In Completion Of Suspended Game - Nashville Sounds
- Aces Fall to Cubs - Reno Aces
- Cubs Pick Up a Win - Iowa Cubs
- Sky Sox Rally For 4-3 Walk Off Win Over Nashville - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Hernandez Shuts Express Down - Round Rock Express
- The Simpsons Documentary To Visit Isotopes Park - Albuquerque Isotopes
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Eric Maynor to Throw Out First Pitch at Tonight's Bees Game - Salt Lake Bees
- Special Perfect Game Presentation Today at Security Service Field - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Nashville Eeks Out 8-7 Win Over Colorado Springs - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Sounds Win Wild One Against Sky Sox, 8-7 - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Aces Stories
- Reno Ice Rink Opens Next Week
- JAKKS Pacific Donates Toys to Reno Aces & Reno 1868 FC
- Aces, Greater Nevada Field to Host World Series Watch Party
- Aces Program at Greater Nevada Field Raises More Than $61,000
- Greater Nevada Field to Host Slaughter House Halloween Attraction