Hartford Athletic Falls in First Dillon Stadium Match Under the Lights
Hartford Athletic and Louisville City FC played an entertaining game of soccer but the result, unfortunately, didn't favor the home side. Looking to build upon the momentum of the nearly immaculate 5-1 rout of Loudon United last week, Hartford seemed raring to go. Not to mention the added aesthetic backdrop of the lights and rowdy home support, it looked like Hartford's to lose. Despite a lot of early energy, the sides somehow made it to the end of the first 45 without a goal.
The second half saw more excitement than the first. The pendulum could've swung in either sides favor and it swung towards the visitors in the 59th minute through Napo Matsoso's one touch shot from the edge of the box. This would surprisingly be the only goal of the game. Ingenious efforts from Harry Swartz and Danny Barrera threatened the Louisville goal, but not enough to change the scoreline and the game ended 1-0 to the visitors. Overall, the result didn't reflect the performance put in by the boys in Green and Blue. "I think we played a phenomenal game from beginning to end," said Hartford Athletic head coach Jimmy Nielsen. "I said it in the locker room, I couldn't be more proud of the guys that were part of a high, high, high level USL game. We competed with them from the first to the last second, and created enough chances to win the game."
Athletic will hit the road for the next two weeks, the first road trip lasting more than one match since starting the season with eight consecutive road matches. The Boys in Green will head north of the border to take on Ottawa next week for a Sunday matinee at 2 PM. Hartford will be back home on October 5th when they host Swope Park Rangers.
Shots (On-Target): Hartford Athletic 12(5) - 11(4) Louisville
Corners: Hartford Athletic 5-5 Louisville
Fouls: Hartford Athletic 11-20 Louisville
Offsides: Hartford Athletic 4-4 Louisville
Possession: Hartford Athletic 44%-56% Louisville
Passing Accuracy: Hartford Athletic 78%-77% Louisville
Saves: Hartford Athletic 3-4 Louisville
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 14, 2019
- Switchbacks FC Drop Result in First Trip to New Mexico - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Zorros Fall in Las Vegas, Return to the Valley for 2 Games in 4 Days Next Week - Fresno FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Fall to Number Four Orange County - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Indy Eleven Clinches Playoff Berth with 2-1 Win over Bethlehem Steel FC - Indy Eleven
- San Antonio FC Earns Crucial 3-1 Win at Home to OKC Energy FC - San Antonio FC
- Rowdies Held to 1-1 Draw by Atlanta - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Hartford Athletic Falls in First Dillon Stadium Match Under the Lights - Hartford Athletic
- Hounds Zap Battery, 1-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Fresno FC at Las Vegas Lights FC Preview - Fresno FC
- Battery Fall 1-0 in Physical Battle with Pittsburgh - Charleston Battery
- North Carolina FC Falls 1-0 at Swope Park Rangers - North Carolina FC
- Reno 1868 FC Signs Ivan Valencia - Reno 1868 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Dismantles Portland Timbers 2, 5-1 - Real Monarchs SLC
- T2 Fall to Real Monarchs Slc Saturday - Portland Timbers 2
- Game Day: LouCity Visits Hartford Athletic - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Athletic Stories
- Hartford Closes out Inaugural USL Championship Season with 2-1 Win at the Death
- Preview: Athletic Host Tampa Bay in USL Championship Finale Saturday Night
- Danny Bedoya Named to USL Championship Team of the Week
- Four Second-Half Goals Push Hartford to Victory over Birmingham Legion FC
- Preview: Athletic Host Birmingham in Rare Wednesday Night Match