Zorros Fall in Las Vegas, Return to the Valley for 2 Games in 4 Days Next Week
LAS VEGAS - Los Zorros closed their three-game homestand in Las Vegas on Saturday, falling 3-1 to the Lights at Cashman Field. Left back Alex Cooper opened the scoring with an incredible long-distance strike at the 17th minute, but the home team rallied to split the season series.
Fresno pressed early, seeing a near chance in the opening two minutes but forward Jaime Chavez was flagged just offsides. Nine minutes later, center back Ramon Martin Del Campo headed an opportunity at goal on a corner kick that was saved by Las Vegas goalkeeper Thomas Olsen.
A little while later, Cooper opened the events, stopping a Las Vegas clearance with his right foot, and then smashed the ball with his left, that arched 30 yards and just over an outstretched Olsen for a 1-0 lead. It was Cooper's first goal of the season.
At the 21st minute, the Lights equalized on Cristian Martinez short goal inside the penalty area after gaining possession in the box. Fresno nearly retook the lead two minutes later, but Jackson's effort missed over the crossbar.
After the halftime break, Vegas would connect twice more, taking the lead at the 58th from Tabor Etaka and then doubling it at the 71st when the Lights were awarded a penalty that Parra converted.
Fresno (14-5-8), remains in second place in the Western Conference, three points ahead of Reno (14-9-5) with one game in hand. Los Zorros return to the Valley for two games in four days next week, hosting RGVFC Toros on Wednesday, Sept. 18th and then first-place Phoenix Rising FC on Saturday, Sept. 21st. Tickets for both matches are on sale now at FresnoFC.com and the Chukchansi Park Box Office.
EL MEXICANO MAN OF THE MATCH: ALEX COOPER, LB Cooper opened the scoring with a beautiful long-distance strike at the 17th minute. He finished the evening with five crosses, three shots, one key pass, and two clearances.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 14, 2019
- Switchbacks FC Drop Result in First Trip to New Mexico - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Zorros Fall in Las Vegas, Return to the Valley for 2 Games in 4 Days Next Week - Fresno FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Fall to Number Four Orange County - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Indy Eleven Clinches Playoff Berth with 2-1 Win over Bethlehem Steel FC - Indy Eleven
- San Antonio FC Earns Crucial 3-1 Win at Home to OKC Energy FC - San Antonio FC
- Rowdies Held to 1-1 Draw by Atlanta - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Hartford Athletic Falls in First Dillon Stadium Match Under the Lights - Hartford Athletic
- Hounds Zap Battery, 1-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Fresno FC at Las Vegas Lights FC Preview - Fresno FC
- Battery Fall 1-0 in Physical Battle with Pittsburgh - Charleston Battery
- North Carolina FC Falls 1-0 at Swope Park Rangers - North Carolina FC
- Reno 1868 FC Signs Ivan Valencia - Reno 1868 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Dismantles Portland Timbers 2, 5-1 - Real Monarchs SLC
- T2 Fall to Real Monarchs Slc Saturday - Portland Timbers 2
- Game Day: LouCity Visits Hartford Athletic - Louisville City FC
Other Recent Fresno FC Stories
- Fresno Football Club Issues Official Statement
- No. 3 Fresno FC vs. No. 6 El Paso Locomotive FC Playoff Preview
- Nine-Man Foxes Side Falls at Orange County to End Regular Season
- Zorros Draw 2-2 with La Galaxy II on Stand up 2 Cancer Night
- Fresno FC vs. LA Galaxy II Preview