Harnett, Bernhardt Sign with Seals
The San Diego Seals announced today that the team has signed defenseman Greg Harnett to a one-year deal, pending league approval.
"Greg is a hard-nosed, intelligent defender that plays team-first lacrosse," said General Manager and Head Coach Patrick Merrill. "He knows what it takes to win, and we are excited to welcome him into the Seals family."
Harnett, 30, has played his entire nine-year NLL career in Calgary where he recorded 316 loose balls, 69 caused turnovers, 35 points and 205 penalty minutes in 116 games with the Roughnecks. The lefty made seven postseason appearances in his nine seasons with the club, winning the NLL Championship in 2019. The 5-11, 190-pound defenseman was drafted 11th overall in the 2011 NLL Entry Draft.
The Seals have also signed transition player Jake Bernhardt. Bernhardt played college lacrosse at the University of Maryland where he won the William Cole Award as the team's best overall midfielder as a sophomore. The two-time captain helped the Terps win back-to-back ACC tournament titles and reach the NCAA championship game two years in a row (2011-12). Bernhardt was also a member of the 2018 Team USA Gold Medal Team.
"Bernhardt had an impressive career at Maryland and has found success in the outdoor game," said Merrill. "We can't wait to see him compete at training camp."
The San Diego Seals will return to Pechanga Arena for the 2020-21 season this winter, the NLL's 35th anniversary season. Place your season ticket membership deposit today at SealsLax.com.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from August 5, 2020
- Riptide Sign Jon Harnett - New York Riptide
- Riptide Acquire Stouros from Georgia - New York Riptide
- Swarm Trade Leo Stouros to New York Riptide, Sign Forward Sean Tyrrell - Georgia Swarm
- Harnett, Bernhardt Sign with Seals - San Diego Seals
- Warriors Add Toth and Hodgson to Coaching Staff - Vancouver Warriors
- National Lacrosse League Announces Virtual 2020 Entry Draft - Colorado Mammoth
- National Lacrosse League to Hold Virtual 2020 Draft September 17th - NLL
- Captain Jamieson is Back - Halifax Thunderbirds
- Knighthawks Sign Kyle Dawson to Multi-Year Deal - Rochester Knighthawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.