Harlingen tops Alexandria 7-6
It looked like the Alexandria Aces might pull off late inning heroics but a bases-loaded walk to Brian Nichols that scored Terry Roblez gave the Harlingen WhiteWings a 7-6 win in ten innings at Bringhurst Field.
In the top of the tenth, relief pitcher Juan Carlos Ovalles (0-1) retired the first two hitters of the inning. Then, Robles singled and moved to second on a wild pitch. After an intentional walk to Miguel Peguero, Ryan Fox was hit by a pitch to load the bases. With a full count, Ovalles missed low on Nichols, which brought home Roblez.
The game seemed to be over in the ninth when the Aces were down to their last out. Down 6-5, Alexandria shortstop Luis Guance hit a solo home run off Harlingen closer Derek Bennett to left to tie the game.
Bryan Sabatella also hit his first home run of the year. With one on in the first, Sabatella hit a homer to left to give the Aces an early 2-0 lead.
Madison Edwards added an RBI-double to give the Aces a 3-0 lead after the first inning.
Harlingen came back with two runs of its own in the second. David Fowler hit a run-scoring single to score Fox from third. Next, Nichols scored when Kevin Griffin hit into a double play to cut the Aces' lead to 3-2.
Both starters struggled early. Aces starter Ryan Harris worked four innings and gave up five runs on eight hits and four walks while striking out two. Wings starter Joey Cress went three innings and gave up four runs on four hits and two walks and struck out two.
Bennett (1-0) pitched the ninth and tenth while giving up one run and three hits for the win.
Guance, along with hitting a home run, also stole two bases.
Alexandria's Alexis Sosa will face off against Harlingen's Jorge Lugo on Wednesday at Bringhurst Field. It is also Wal-Mart Night. Free admission will be awarded courtesy of Wal-Mart. Game time is 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from May 13, 2008
- Harlingen tops Alexandria 7-6 - Alexandria Aces
- WhiteWings Take Season Opener in Alexandria - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Broncos win 2008 season opener in dramatic fashion - Laredo Broncos
- Colts Bats Wide Awake in Opening Day Win - San Angelo Colts
- Coyotes Lose Opener - Edinburg Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th