Hammerheads Down Tortugas 8-3
Jupiter, FL- After coming off a road trip where the Hammerheads won five out of eight games, including an 18 run performance on Friday night, the Jupiter bats continued to stay hot as they defeated Daytona 8-3 on Tuesday.
Brian Schales paced the team at the plate, going 4-4 with 2 RBI, raising his average to .326. The Hammerheads "hammered out" 14 hits, getting multi-hit games from Schales, Dexter Kjerstad, and newcomer John Silviano.
Ben Holmes made his third start of the season and looked sharp. The Lefty tossed five innings, allowing two runs on four hits, with five strikeouts and zero walks.
The power went out at Roger Dean Stadium for a brief moment during the bottom of the first inning, but there was plenty of power at the plate. Right after the power came on, Stone Garrett hit a no-doubt homerun over the left field wall to give the Hammerheads an early 1-0 lead. Daytona would tie things up in the third after Blake Butler's single to center field scored Chris Okey.
The Hammerheads would respond in the fourth, plating two runs on an RBI single from Schales, and an error by Daytona catcher Chris Okey that eventually scored Schales. Jupiter wouldn't look back from there, as they added five more insurance runs, three in the sixth and two in the seventh, to claim their 10th victory on the season.
Both teams will go at it Wednesday night for game two of this three game set. Felipe Gonzalez (2-1 2.51 ERA) will get the start for Jupiter. He'll be opposed by Daytona righty Jose Lopez (1-1 2.25 ERA.) First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from April 26, 2017
- Rodriguez's Career Night Launches Threshers to 7-5 - Clearwater Threshers
- Aint No LaValley Low Enough in 6-4 Win - Daytona Tortugas
- Stone Crabs' Four-Run Sixth Inning the Difference - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- T-Yanks Fall to Threshers in Hit Parade, 7-5 - Tampa Yankees
- Mets Win Thriller 8-7 vs. Lakeland to Snap Losing Skid - St. Lucie Mets
- Marauders Drop 16 on Miracle in Game Two - Fort Myers Miracle
- Marauders Meet Miracle Wednesday Night - Bradenton Marauders
- Hammerheads Down Tortugas 8-3 - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Jupiter Hammers Daytona, 8-3 - Daytona Tortugas
- Cronenworth Extends Hitting Streak to 19 in 10-3 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Miracle Battle in Back-And-Forth Contest to Earn Win - Fort Myers Miracle
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jupiter Hammerheads Stories
- Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium Announces 2019 Spring Training Schedule
- Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium to Offer Special Ticket Discount for North Palm Beach Residents for Fireworks & Mega Bash
- Monday's Game Postponed; Double Header Scheduled for Tuesday
- 9TH Inning Rally Not Enough in Series Opening Loss
- Hammerheads Earn 20th Win of the Season