Greenville Blanks League-Leading Chattanooga, Wins Second Straight
Greenville, SC - The Greenville Triumph Soccer Club continued their return to form with a 1-0 win over the league-leading Chattanooga Red Wolves Saturday Night at Legacy Early College. The victory was Greenville's second in a row as they continue to put a tough August in the rear view mirror and push to make the playoffs for a third consecutive season.
Continuing to flip the script on their mid-summer lull, the Triumph offense came out of the gates hot again, outshooting the Red Wolves 9-1 in the first half and connecting on a staggering 89 percent of their passes. The match turned in the 25th minute, when Chattanooga's Sebastian Capozuchhi was shown a straight red card after a foot to the face of Greenville co-captain Aaron Walker. The Triumph quickly capitalized, as an Allen Gavilanes and JJ Donnelly connected on the opening goal for a second straight week. Greenville held a 1-0 lead into the half, thoroughly outplaying the visitors through the first 45 minutes.
The playing field was evened in the 60th minute, when Triumph attacker Don Smart collected a second yellow and subsequent match ejection. With the sides equal at ten men, Chattanooga reignited their attack with a flurry of shots on Greenville's defense. Keeper Paul Christensen turned shot after shot away in final minutes of the match. The Triumph held firm through an extended stoppage time, competing the 1-0 shutout for their second straight victory to hold them at third in the standings with 30 points on the season.
Triumph SC concludes a three-match home stand with Hispanic Heritage Night, next Sunday, September 19th against FC Tucson at 7:00 PM.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League One message board...
United Soccer League One Stories from September 11, 2021
- Union Omaha Takes 3 Points at Home and Retakes Top Spot on the Table - Union Omaha
- Kickers Fall to Rivals Forward Madison in Tight Contest - Richmond Kickers
- Revolution II Trips vs. North Carolina FC - New England Revolution II
- Tormenta FC Topples North Texas SC - South Georgia Tormenta FC
- Forward Madison Pick up Massive 3 Points with 1-0 Win vs. Richmond - Forward Madison FC
- Albadawi Records Brace to Lift NCFC to 4-1 Win in Final Appearance Before Retirement - North Carolina FC
- Greenville Blanks League-Leading Chattanooga, Wins Second Straight - Greenville Triumph SC
- Head Coach John Harkes to Miss Chattanooga Match Following Positive Test - Greenville Triumph SC
- Know Before You Go - Union Omaha vs. Toronto FC II - Union Omaha
- 3 Puntos: GVLvCHA Match Preview - Chattanooga Red Wolves SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.