Gonzalez, Norwood Help Shrimp Sweep Lookouts, 8-1
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp right-hander Merandy Gonzalez pitched a season-best seven shutout innings, and right fielder John Norwood hit two home runs in his first four-hit Southern League game to lead an 8-1 win over the Chattanooga Lookouts in front of 7,419 at Big Splash Day Wednesday at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville.
Gonzalez (1-3) did not allow a Chattanooga baserunner to reach scoring position in the first six innings and faced only three batters over the minimum in his first seven-inning start since July 19, 2017, when he pitched for New York Mets High-A affiliate St. Lucie against Miami Marlins affiliate Jupiter. He allowed lone baserunners in the second, third and fifth innings, and a walk and single in the seventh inning. He yielded three total hits and two walks with three strikeouts.
Lookouts left-hander Dietrich Enns (0-3) shut out the Jumbo Shrimp (8-12 second half, 36-52 overall) the first four innings, stranding six baserunners. In the bottom of the fifth inning, center fielder Monte Harrison hit a leadoff double down the left-field line, and first baseman Peter O'Brien hit a two-run home run - his second in as many days and team-high 12th of the season - to left field. Enns completed five innings, allowing two runs on seven hits and three walks with seven strikeouts.
Jacksonville added four runs in the sixth inning against Chattanooga left-hander Andrew Vasquez. Third baseman Brian Schales hit a leadoff double. Catcher Rodrigo Vigil and second baseman Chris Diaz put down consecutive sacrifice bunts, with throwing errors by Vasquez and catcher Mitchell Kranson helping score a run. Left fielder Brian Miller hit an RBI double to right-center field, and two batters later, Norwood hit his first home run since April 28 to the right-field bleachers to make it 6-0. In the seventh inning, Vasquez allowed three straight two-out singles to Schales, Vigil and Diaz, scoring another run. Norwood's eighth-inning solo home run to the Budweiser Tiki Terrace off left-hander Tyler Jay made it 8-0.
After Jumbo Shrimp right-hander Reilly Hovis pitched a scoreless eighth inning, the Lookouts (5-15, 41-48) tallied a ninth-inning run with a pair of two-out walks and Kranson's RBI single against Jacksonville right-hander Lukas Schiraldi.
UP NEXT: The Jumbo Shrimp will open a series with Biloxi at 7:05 p.m. Thursday. Gates open at 6 p.m. for Budweiser Thirsty Thursday, when fans can purchase $1 12-oz. and $2 24-oz. beers adjacent to the Budweiser Tiki Terrace, along the right-field concourse, and at the Oasis concession stand behind section 115. $1 small sodas are sold at the concession stands. DJ Swagg and DJ MoneyGud will provide music at the Budweiser Tiki Terrace. As Seen on TV Night will feature in-game contests with great American TV products, from the Sham-wow to the Slap-Chop and the Gopher to the Shake-weight, which will be a $500 contest. The game is also presented by Cox Media.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 11, 2018
- Smokies Split Series with Biscuits - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears Hold on to Win Finale, Split Series with Wahoos - Mobile BayBears
- BayBears Shut Down Wahoos Comeback to Take Series Finale, 3-2 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Smokies Burn Biscuits, 4-2 - Montgomery Biscuits
- INF Luis Marte Promoted to Triple-A Gwinnett - Mississippi Braves
- Jumbo Shrimp Homestand Highlights July 12-16 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Gonzalez, Norwood Help Shrimp Sweep Lookouts, 8-1 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Ray Shines as Biloxi Takes Down Generals - Jackson Generals
- Lookouts Drop Fourth, Lose Series - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Fireworks and Giveaways Highlight Series Starting Tomorrow - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Cease, Basabe to Play in All-Star Futures Game - Birmingham Barons
- M-Braves Homestand Highlights, July 12-16 - Mississippi Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Stories
- Jumbo Shrimp Open Registration for February 28 National Anthem Auditions
- Jacksonville Alum Walker Elected to Southern League Hall of Fame
- Jumbo Shrimp Hold Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Essay Contest
- Mascots Southpaw, Scampi Present Valentine's Day Sweetheart Surprise
- Family Movie Night with the Jumbo Shrimp Set for February 23