Giants Fall 8-2 to the Raiders, Now Trail 2-1 in the Rogers WHL Championship Series
Vancouver, B.C. - Tuesday night at the Langley Events Centre the Vancouver Giants fell 8-2 to the Prince Albert Raiders in Game 3 of the 2019 Rogers WHL Championship Series. Brett Leason (2G, 1A) and Dante Hannoun (1G, 2A) combined for six points for the Raiders who scored seven times in the first period en route to their second victory in as many games. Brayden Watts and Yannik Valenti responded with power play goals for the Giants who now trail a playoff series for the first time in 2019. The teams combined for 16 power plays with the Raiders finishing four-for-eight and the Giants were two-for-eight. Game 4 goes tomorrow night at 7:00 PM.
PA - 41 seconds into the game, Parker Kelly (5) snapped a shot through a screen and past David Tendeck to make it 1-0.
PA - Ozzy Weisblatt (5) extended the Raider lead to 2-0 at the 2:27 mark. David Tendeck was pulled from the Giants net in favour of Trent Miner. Weisblatt's goal came via the power play.
PA - Brett Leason (8) extended his point streak to six games when he tallied at 4:15. Aliaksei Protas and Sergei Sapego assisted.
PA - With a delayed penalty on the way and the Raiders already up five skaters to three, Cole Fonstad (2) one-timed home a feed from Parker Kelly to make it 4-0 at 6:33.
PA - Brett Leason's second of the night and ninth of the playoffs came at 8:20 on a power play to make it 5-0.
PA - Parker Kelly (6) bagged his second goal of the period on a breakaway to make it 6-0 at 16:30.
PA - With 16 seconds remaining in the first, Noah Gregor (10) roofed a backhand shot past Trent Miner's glove to give the Raiders their seventh goal of the period.
Shots: 18-8 Prince Albert
PA - Late in the second period Dante Hannoun deflected a Brett Leason shot past David Tendeck (who started the second period for the Giants) to give the Raiders an 8-0 lead. For hannoun it was his 12th goal of the playoffs.
VAN - With less than a minute remaining in the period, Brayden Watts snuck into the slot and one-timed a Lucas Svejkovsky feed from behind the Raider net to put the Giants on the board. It was Watts' sixth goal of the playoffs.
Shots: 13-3 Vancouver
VAN - The final goal of the game came at 14:44 off the stick of Yannik Valenti who one-timed a Bowen Byram feed from his office in the left-wing circle. Valenti's third goal of the playoffs was also assisted on by Dylan Plouffe.
Shots: 8-6 Vancouver
Final Score: Prince Albert 8 - Vancouver 2
Final Shots: 29-27 Vancouver
David Tendeck: 10/13 saves for Vancouver
Trent Miner: 9/14 saves for Vancouver (4-2)
Ian Scott: 27/29 saves for Prince Albert (14-5)
Prince Albert: 4/8 on the Power Play
Vancouver: 2/8 on the Power Play
1. Brett Leason (PA - 2G, 1A)
2. Dante Hannoun (PA - 1G, 2A)
3. Parker Kelly (PA - 2G, 1A)
Next Game: Tomorrow night at 7:00 PM at the Langley Events Centre
GET GAME 4 TICKETS HERE
- Tuesday's loss for the Giants marked the first time during the 2019 WHL playoffs that the Giants have lost two in a row.
- The Giants power play has now clicked in 16 of their 18 playoff games.
- Never at any point during the 2018-19 regular season or playoffs have the Giants surrender more than six goals against until Tuesday night.
- With an assist on Yannik Valenti's goal, Giants defenceman Bowen Byram is tied with Raiders forward Dante Hannoun for the WHL playoff scoring lead with 23 points.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from May 8, 2019
- Leason Leads Raiders to Big Game 3 Win - Prince Albert Raiders
- Prince Albert Raiders Win Game 3 of Rogers WHL Championship Series - WHL
- Giants Fall 8-2 to the Raiders, Now Trail 2-1 in the Rogers WHL Championship Series - Vancouver Giants
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Giants Sign Colton Langkow to a WHL Standard Player Agreement
- Giants Sign Defenceman Damian Palmieri to a WHL Standard Player Agreement
- Giants Sign Forward Ethan Semeniuk to a WHL Standard Player Agreement
- Giants Sign Forward Ty Halaburda to a WHL Standard Player Agreement
- Giants Sign D-Man Mazden Leslie to WHL Standard Player Agreement