Giants Fall 1-0 to Raiders in Game 4, Now Trail the Championship Series 3-1
Vancouver, B.C. - Wednesday night at the Langley Events Centre the Vancouver Giants dropped a hard-fought 1-0 decision to the Prince Albert Raiders in Game 4 of the 2019 Rogers WHL Championship Series. Brett Leason bagged the game's lone goal at the 4:21 mark of the third period on a breakaway giving the Raiders their third win in a row in the best-of-seven series. Raiders goaltender Ian Scott stopped all 36 shots he faced to secure his fifth shutout of the 2019 playoffs while David Tendeck went 25-for-26 between the pipes for the Giants. With the victory on Wednesday the Raiders take a 3-1 series lead. Game 5 takes place on Friday night at 7:30 PM at the Langley Events Centre with the Giants facing elimination for the first time in these playoffs.
Shots: 15-9 Vancouver
*Ian Scott made a terrific breakaway save off Davis Koch in the late stages of the first period off a shorthanded breakaway chance.
Shots: 12-10 Prince Albert
*David Tendeck denied Sergei Sapego on a breakaway chance at around the mid-way point of the second period keeping the game scoreless.
PA - The game's lone goal came at 4:21 of the third period when Brett Leason (10) beat David Tendeck on a breakaway off a slick feed from Aliaksei Protas. Jeremy Masella had the second assist as Brett Leason extended his point streak to seven straight games.
*Ian Scott made a lunging save to his left off Alex Kannok Leipert with about seven minutes remaining in the third period which allowed the Raiders to maintain their 1-0 lead.
Final Score: Prince Albert 1 - Vancouver 0
Final Shots: 36-26 Vancouver
David Tendeck: 25/26 saves for Vancouver (9-4)
Ian Scott: 36/36 saves for Prince Albert (15-5)
Vancouver: 0/1 on the Power Play
Prince Albert: 0/2 on the Power Play
1. Ian Scott (PA - 36 saves)
2. David Tendeck (VAN - 25 saves)
3. Milos Roman (VAN - 3 SOG)
Next Game: Game 5 of the 2019 Rogers WHL Championship Series takes place Friday night at 7:30 PM from the Langley Events Centre. The Giants need to win in order to send the series back to Prince Albert for Games 6 and 7.
- For the first time in the 2019 playoffs, the Vancouver Giants are facing elimination.
- Dylan Plouffe and Davis Koch led the Giants with four shots on goal apiece on Wednesday night.
- Raiders forward Brett Leason has now notched seven goals in his past seven games to go along with three assists for 10 points. He's recorded at least one point in all seven of those games.
- The Vancouver Giants are 2-0 in their previous Game 5's that they've played in during the 2019 WHL playoffs.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from May 9, 2019
- Cougars 50/50 Society Donates $25,000 to Cariboo Cougars - Prince George Cougars
- Yaremko Commits to Mount Royal University - Tri-City Americans
- "Select-A-Seat" Saturday, May 11 - Everett Silvertips
- Three Rockets Alumni to Play at IIHF Worlds - Kelowna Rockets
- 50 Below Sports + Entertainment Announces Capital Improvement Upgrades to Wayne Fleming Arena - Winnipeg Ice
- Prince Albert Raiders Win Game 4 of Rogers WHL Championship Series - WHL
- Scott Shuts The Door In Game 4 - Prince Albert Raiders
- Giants Fall 1-0 to Raiders in Game 4, Now Trail the Championship Series 3-1 - Vancouver Giants
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Giants Announce 2019 CIBC Home Opener to Take Place Friday, September 27th
- Trent Miner Selected by the Colorado Avalanche in the Seventh Round
- Bowen Byram Selected Fourth Overall by the Colorado Avalanche
- Byram Named to Canada's National Junior Team Summer Development Camp
- Vancouver Giants Announce 2019 Pre-Season Schedule