Generals Weekly Recap
FLINT, MI - The Generals are coming off of a tough weekend that saw them play three games and sustain three losses in as many nights. The winless weekend dropped the Gens to a 1-4-0-0 record for the young 2009-10 season.
The Generals were guests at McMorran Arena in Port Huron Friday night for their first regular season matchup against the IceHawks. The Generals were outshot 37-23 on the night and went 0-6 on the powerplay while Port Huron was 1-8 on the man advantage. Only two pucks found the back of the net for the Gens through 60 minutes of play, one off the stick of Jamie Schaafsma in the first and one at the hands of Nate Ward in the second. With a goal in the first and two in the third, Port Huron's Cory Stillman proved to be the difference maker with a hat-trick. JF Labbe took the loss for the Generals, despite making some spectacular saves throughout the game.
Saturday night the IceHawks made the trip down I-69 to Perani for game two of a home and home with the Generals. The scoring began 4:12 in with a shot from Jamie Schaafsma beating IceHawks' goalie Larry Sterling. Just two seconds later the crowd was cheering for bruiser Derek Parker as he went toe to toe with the IceHawks Mike Bray. The IceHawks broke the game open in the second period scoring three goals, followed by a fourth in the final period. For the second night in a row, the Generals were unable to crack the Port Huron goaltending despite outshooting the visitors 39-37 on the night. Rookie goaltender Rob Nolan suffered his first pro loss in the game.
Flint wrapped up their first three in three game stretch in Dayton, OH where they faced the expansion Gems. This contest was a bright spot for the Generals as their offense came to life, scoring 4 goals on 29 shots. After falling behind 5-3 during the first minute of the third period, the Jon Ronan scored with less than 3 minutes to play to make it a one goal game. Despite sustained pressure in the final minutes, Dayton goaltender Ryan Mior held on for the win. Generals goaltender JF Labbe stopped 34 of 39 shots and took the loss. Also scoring for the Generals were Pascal Rheaume, Tyler Howells and Jake Pence.
The Generals look to turn things around this Halloween weekend when they head back out on the road to play Quad City on Friday night and then spend Saturday in Bloomington for a Halloween night matchup with the Prairie Thunder.
The next home game for the Generals is Friday November 6th at 7:30pm when they host the two time Turner Cup Champion Fort Wayne Komets. The Generals are offering a special on group tickets of just $5 a seat for groups of ten (10) or more for this big test. Tickets for all Generals home games for the 2009-10 season are on sale at the Perani Arena Ticket Office or through Ticketmaster. For group rates with the Generals call the Generals office at (810) 744-0222 or visit our website at www.flintgenerals.com.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from October 26, 2009
- Stillman Named IHL Player Of The Week - Port Huron Icehawks
- Lumberjacks Pink The Rink October 30th - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Bloomington Records First Shutout Of 09-10 Season - IHL 2
- IHL Announces Weekly Honors For Week Two - IHL 2
- Generals Weekly Recap - Flint Generals
- Colaiacovo Earns Honor - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- PrairieThunder Offer Ticket Deal - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Gens Weekly Notes - Flint Generals
- Lumberjacks Start Strong - Muskegon Lumberjacks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals