Generals Weekly Notes
On The Record:
For the second week in a row, the Generals fall just short of sweeping coming out of the week 2-1-0-0. With a win at home and another win on the road, the Generals have really pulled themselves into the playoff race with Bloomington, Dayton and Quad City.
Finally On Track?:
For much of the season, Gens fans have been on a rollercoaster. The most wins the team has strung together are 3 and their longest unbeaten streak is 5 games, the issue has been producing more of those little streaks with fewer losses in between and they seem to have finally gotten to that point. In their last 15 games, they have an 8-6-1-0 record with going no more than two games at a time without a win (that was only once).
To say the Generals have struggled on the road this season would be an understatement. That was until the Gens found a way to win on enemy ice going 4-2-0-0 in their last six road games. Until mid January they had a total of two road wins, now fans have to hope that whatever has changed sticks around.
John Mori's 5 points on Saturday in Muskegon is the most points a Generals player has racked up in one game all season. He also leads the league in shorthanded goals with 5 (the 5th was added Saturday) and shots in a game with 11.
~ John Ronan played in his 300th career game Sunday
~ Matt Moffat has the longest current point streak, with 5 points in 5 games
~ John Mori leads the team in points for the month of February with 12 (6 goals and 6 assists in 8 games)
~ Mori leads the team in points away from Perani with 20 points, while Jamie Schaafsma leads the team at home with 24 points
~ While at home the team has an overall plus-minus of plus-37 in comparison to a minus-101
The Invasion Continues:
The Generals have taken over Genesee County one promotion at a time. Unfortunately the Myers Elementary school appearance has to be rescheduled for a second time, again due to a snow day.
Tuesday players will be taking a drive down US 23 to Brighton to Hawkins Elementary School, the school attended by Steve Silver.
Thursday players will visit Atherton High School to talk about character building, academics and what it takes to succeed.
This Week On The Ice:
The Generals and Muskegon continue to battle Wednesday, February 24th when Flint heads west and back to L.C. Walker Arena. They welcome Bloomington Friday the 26th for the third City Pride Night.
Saturday they head down to Fort Wayne before wrapping up the week Sunday at home as they host the Port Huron IceHawks.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from February 22, 2010
- Mori Named IHL Player Of The Week - Flint Generals
- Naurato Named IHL Rookie Of The Week - Port Huron Icehawks
- PrairieThunder hosts Dayton before hitting the road - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Robin Bouchard Suspended - IHL 2
- Mallards' Jones Again Named IHL Goaltender Of The Week - Quad City Mallards
- Russo Solid For Icehawks After Return From Italy - IHL 2
- IHL Announces Weekly Honors For Week Nineteen - IHL 2
- Komets Net Three Points For Week 19; Generals Visit Saturday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Generals Weekly Notes - Flint Generals
- Generals Weekly Report - Flint Generals
- Lumberjacks Stay Staunch Atop Standings - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Lumberjacks Weekly Notes - Muskegon Lumberjacks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals