Generals overpower IceHawks
PORT HURON, MI - The Flint Generals defeated the Port Huron IceHawks 3-1 Friday night at McMorran Arena. The victory marked Flint's second straight win over the IceHawks, both coming on the road.
The opening period began with a lot of speed from both teams. With just under six minutes played, Jamie Schaafsma opened the scoring. The Generals managed to sustain pressure down low while on the power play. Larry Sterling made some great saves but the Generals were the ones getting to all of the loose pucks including Schaafsma who put one of those pucks behind Sterling giving the Gens the 1-0 lead.
Craig Cescon and Jason Kostadine provided the fans with the lone battle of the fists in the game, each getting in their punches and making them count.
Port Huron tied the game 8:44 into the middle period with a power play goal when Brandon Kaleniecki scored the only goal for the home team just .06 seconds into the man advantage. Flint regained the lead 2:40 later with the great single effort of John Ronan (his 18th on the season).
With time winding down in the final period and Rob Nolan doing everything in his power to hold onto the win for the Generals, Bryan Smolinski found the back of an empty Port Huron net after taking a neutral zone pass from John Mori sealing the victory for the Generals.
It was the second straight road victory for the Generals, who beat the Gems in Dayton February 5th and third road victory in four games away from Perani.
Flint went 1 of 4 on the power play while Nolan stopped 26 of 27 shots faced through 59:57 minutes played.
The teams hit the ice again tomorrow night at 7:30 PM at Perani Arena as the Generals return home for the first time since their January 25th game against Muskegon. Tickets are available at the Perani Arena Ticket Office, by phone at 810-744-0580, or through Ticketmaster. For group ticket information, call the Generals Office at 810-744-0222.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from February 12, 2010
- Generals overpower IceHawks - Flint Generals
- Generals top Icehawks - Port Huron Icehawks
- Gems edged out by Lumberjacks - Dayton Gems
- Mallards fall in Bloomington - Quad City Mallards
- Dayton Gems Sign Defensemen Iain McPhee And Russell Smith - Dayton Gems
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals