Generals fall 5-2 to PrairieThunder at home
FLINT, MI - The Flint Generals and the Bloomington PrairieThunder clashed Friday night at Perani Arena, battling to a 5 - 2 final in favor of the PT/Gens, in front of 1,986 despite the very snowy conditions.
The opening period was all Bloomington on the scoreboard, jumping out to a 3-0 start by the end of the first 20 minutes. Rick Varone scored first just shy of two minutes into play when a clearing attempt didn't work with 2 Bloomington players in the zone. Varone was alone on the near side and tipped it into an open net as Rob Nolan was unable to get across the crease in time. The PrairieThunder's second goal came at 15:10 off of a Brett Holmber deflection. The third PT goal came with less than four minutes to go in the period at the hands of Craig Macdonald whose shot hit the crossbar and bounced in behind Nolan.
Second period action hit right after the faceoff as Chris Kovalcik and Justin Sawyer dropped the gloves at center ice. Brandon Gentile put the Gens on the board with a tick-tack-toe goal on the power play, taking a pass across the crease from John Ronan and beating Sebastian Dahm. Fans thought the home team had pulled within one after seeing the puck behind the goal line but it was ruled that John Mori had gloved it in and thus no goal.
The final frame began well for the Generals, continuing to generate scoring opportunities and skating hard. Jamie Schaafsma, who had numerous scoring chances himself, brought the Gens within one. Bloomington regained a two gal lead after Craig Macdonald found the back of the net right off the faceoff. Flint Head Coach Jason Muzzatti pulled Nolan with 1:30 left on the clock and Bloomington's Matt McIlvane lit the lamp for the empty netter.
The Generals went 1 of 5 on the man advantage while Rob Nolan struggled in net, stopping 16 of 21 shots faced.
Flint heads to Fort Wayne tomorrow to face the Komets for the first time since January 15th. They return home Sunday to host Port Huron.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from February 26, 2010
- Icehawks fall to Mallards - Port Huron Icehawks
- Gems fall to Fort Wayne - Dayton Gems
- Generals fall 5-2 to PrairieThunder at home - Flint Generals
- Mallards' Game Time Sunday Shifted to 5:30 P.M. to Follow Olympic Gold Medal Game - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Rally Past Port Huron 4-3 - Quad City Mallards
- Sunday game time changed - Bloomington PrairieThunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals