Generals Edge Black Bears
ODENTON, MD - It was a tight defensive contest that saw little goals and a lot of hits. In the end, it was the Northeast Generals securing a win in game one of a three game series against the Maryland Black Bears by the final score of 2-1.
Two plays that saw Northeast walk in all alone on the goalie doomed the Black BEars. A missed keep in on the power-play by Maryland saw Generals' forward Ethan Destefani go in alone on a breakaway and shoot the puck past Black Bears' goalie Andrew Takacs for a 1-0 lead in the first period. In the second period Maryland gave up a two-on-none rush resulting in a tap in goal for Northeast forward Liam McCanney to make it 2-0. Wilmer Skoog got one goal back for Maryland before the period was over by tipping an Anthony Mollica point shot to make it 2-1.
The Black Bears generated a lot of chances in the third period but ultimately could not cash in. Generals' goalie Joey Stanizzi made some key stops in the final minutes of the game to help Northeast get the 2-1 win. The win brings the Generals to a record of 8-10-2 and the loss drops Maryland to 7-9-1.
The Black Bears will look to get back on track in game two with a puck drop time of 7:00 PM ET on Saturday. Maryland and Northeast conclude the three game series on Sunday with a puck drop time of 2:00 PM ET with both games being played at New England Sports Village.
The Maryland Black Bears is a Junior Hockey Team that competes in the North American Hockey League (NAHL). Our players, 16-20 years old, are vying for NCAA DI/III Scholarships. The Black Bears are the hometown hockey team of Central Maryland and play out of the Piney Orchard Ice Arena. The Maryland Black Bears play for more than just wins!
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from November 8, 2019
- Ice Wolves Win First Home Game - New Mexico Ice Wolves
- Bulls Hold off IceRays Late Push for Fourth Straight Win - Amarillo Bulls
- Bulls Hold off IceRays' Late Surge Friday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Tomahawks Take Command of Series - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Generals Edge Black Bears - Maryland Black Bears
- Bruins and St. Cloud Blizzard Agree to Schedule Change Impacting Three Dates - Austin Bruins
- Home Sweet Home - Aberdeen Wings
- Hanson Commits - Minot Minotauros
- Wings and Rings - Minot Minotauros
- Bulls Beat IceRays Via Shootout Thursday - Corpus Christi IceRays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.