Bulls Hold off IceRays' Late Surge Friday
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - The Corpus Christi IceRays battled back from a 4-0 deficit Friday, making it a 4-3 game late, but ultimately fell 5-3 to the Amarillo Bulls at American Bank Center. Amarillo's Matt Allen and Corpus Christi's Cameron Knowlton each scored a pair of goals.
Shane Bull and Stephen Kyrkostas each put up two assists for the IceRays.
Ty Black, who scored the shootout-winning goal Thursday, recorded his first official NAHL goal Friday at 1:42 of the first period, giving the Bulls an early 1-0 advantage. Allen then picked up his first of the night with a tally on the power play at 5:11.
The Bulls scored twice more in the second period. Kyrre Hellerud lit the lamp in his NAHL debut at 3:22, then Allen bounced a shot in from the wall at 18:05 for his second notch of the night.
The IceRays battled back in the third period. Evan Carroll cashed in on a feed from Kyrkostas at 6:30 to get Corpus Christi on the board. Later in the period, Tyler Love drew a five-minute major for high sticking from Amarillo's Jordan Venegoni. On the power play, Knowlton scored at 14:09 and 16:26, bringing the IceRays back within one goal. Goaltender Cal Sandquist was pulled with about a minute to go, giving the IceRays an extra attacker, but Bulls forward Ryan Tucker fired one into the empty net from in front of the IceRays bench to secure the two-goal victory for the visitors.
Corpus Christi outshot Amarillo 27-18, including 9-3 in the third period. The IceRays went 2-for-4 on the power play and 1-for-2 on the penalty kill.
The IceRays are back in action next weekend with a 3-in-3 weekend at the Odessa Jackalopes. Puck drop on Friday, Nov. 15 and Saturday, Nov. 16 is at 7:15 p.m. CT, and 5:00 p.m. CT on Sunday, Nov. 17. IceRays games can be heard on Sports Radio Corpus Christi 1230 AM - 95.1 FM - 96.1 FM (KSIX-AM/FM) and mixlr.com/icerays, and can be viewed on HockeyTV (HD iPPV).
Following the IceRays' visit to Odessa, the team will be home three weekends in a row, hosting the Shreveport Mudbugs (Nov. 22-23), New Mexico Ice Wolves (Nov. 29-30) and Lone Star Brahmas (Dec. 6-7). Tickets for all 2019-20 IceRays home games are on sale now at the American Bank Center box office and all Ticketmaster outlets. For more information on the IceRays, or to purchase tickets, visit goicerays.com or call 361-814-PUCK (7825). Stay connected with the IceRays on Facebook (/CorpusChristiIceRays), Twitter (@goicerays) and Instagram (CorpusChristiIceRays).
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from November 8, 2019
- Ice Wolves Win First Home Game - New Mexico Ice Wolves
- Bulls Hold off IceRays Late Push for Fourth Straight Win - Amarillo Bulls
- Bulls Hold off IceRays' Late Surge Friday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Tomahawks Take Command of Series - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Generals Edge Black Bears - Maryland Black Bears
- Bruins and St. Cloud Blizzard Agree to Schedule Change Impacting Three Dates - Austin Bruins
- Home Sweet Home - Aberdeen Wings
- Hanson Commits - Minot Minotauros
- Wings and Rings - Minot Minotauros
- Bulls Beat IceRays Via Shootout Thursday - Corpus Christi IceRays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Brahmas Blank IceRays Saturday
- Brahmas Win Seesaw Battle Friday
- Mudbugs Close out Sweep of IceRays
- Shreveport Defeats Corpus Christi Saturday
- IceRays Start Three-Game Weekend with Loss to Mudbugs