Generals Defeat Komets 3-1
FLINT, MI - The Flint Generals drew first blood in the first game of their home and home set with Fort Wayne defeating the Komets 3-1 in front of 2,164 fans at Perani Arena on Saturday night.
Armando Scarlato set the tone for the Generals when he took on Mitch Woods in an entertaining bout at center ice 40 seconds into the game. The Generals opened the scoring at the 16:58 mark of the first period when John Ronan connected for his 25th goal of the season off a snap shot in the high slot. The Generals, who were a perfect 6 for 6 on the penalty kill were forced to kill off 2 Komet power plays in the first and were outshot by the Komets 12-11.
Brian Smolinski connected for his 12th goal of the season off a perfect backhand pass from Brandon Gentile on a 2-on-1 while the Generals were shorthanded at the 8:08 mark of the 2nd period. Rob Nolan continued his mastery in front of the cage, especially when the Generals were forced to kill off a 5-3 disadvantage that lasted for a minute and 3 seconds. The Generals outshot the Komets 12-8 in that period.
The Komets came out hard in the 3rd, but were continually thwarted by Nolan and a stingy Generals defense that didn't allow very many 2nd chances to the Komet forwards. Matt Woodard broke the goose egg for the Komets at the 12:27 mark of the 3rd after a great individual effort by Leo Thomas created a 2 on 1 and gave Woodard the backdoor tap-in. The Generals defense stood tall the rest of the way until Jamie Schaafsma scored his 24th goal of the season into the empty net to seal the victory with 2 seconds left on the clock. Fort Wayne ended up outshooting the Generals 30-27 on the night.
The Generals and Komets play tomorrow afternoon in Fort Wayne at 5pm. After another road game this Wednesday in Dayton the Generals return home next Friday, March 12th to face the Dayton Gems and on Sunday, the Bloomington Prairie Thunder come to Flint to play the game that was rescheduled from February 16th.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from March 6, 2010
- Icehawks Sweep Weekend Series With Lumberjacks - Port Huron Icehawks
- Generals Defeat Komets 3-1 - Flint Generals
- Gems Defeat The Quad City Mallards 6 - 2 - Dayton Gems
- Dayton Downs Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Team With Illinois Army National Guards, Reynolds Ford For - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals