Gary Payton II Sets Season-High as South Bay Rises over Suns
EL SEGUNDO - The South Bay Lakers won their sixth consecutive game at the UCLA Health Training Center as they beat the Northern Arizona Suns, 126-109, on Friday night. Gary Payton II came a rebound shy of a triple-double for South Bay (8-5), as he finished with a season-best 37 points, nine rebounds and 10 assists. Daxter Miles Jr. paced the Suns (2-11) with a team-high 27 points.
Payton II and Jalen Lecque each scored 10 points in the opening frame and the Lakers were able to gain a 39-29 advantage after one. In the second quarter, it was Ahmed Hill who matched Payton II in scoring, as both players scored 12 points in the frame. The Lakers took a 73-69 lead into the half, their highest scoring first half of the season, behind 22 points, five rebounds and seven assists from Payton II.
South Bay took a 99-87 lead into the fourth quarter, as they held the Suns to only 18 points in the third quarter, and Devontae Cacok tallied six points and six rebounds in the frame. Payton II put the finishing touches on the win with 11 points in the fourth quarter as the Lakers improved to 6-1 at home.
Miles Jr. led five Suns in double figures with 27 points, while Aaron Epps paced the bench unit with 18 points. Hill finished the night with 17 points and Lecque scored 14 points off the bench. Anthony Lawrence II also tallied double-digit scoring with 11 points. Jared Harper had eight points and 11 assists in the loss.
Payton II guided the shorthanded Lakers to the win with 37 points, nine rebounds, 10 assists, two blocks and one steal. Cacok recorded his 11th double-double with 19 points and 15 rebounds to go along with two steals. Reggie Hearn did some of everything, tallying 21 points (5-10 3FG), eight rebounds, six assists and two steals. Andre Ingram scored 15 points and finished a game-high +23. Kostas Antetokounmpo (12 points, eight rebounds), Travis Wear (12 points) and Marcus Allen (10 points) also finished in double figures for South Bay.
South Bay finishes their homestand when they host the Stockton Kings on Sunday, December 15 at 5:00pm from the UCLA Health Training Center.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 13, 2019
- Gary Payton II Sets Season-High as South Bay Rises over Suns - South Bay Lakers
- Stars Post Tenth-Straight Victory with Win at Blue - Salt Lake City Stars
- Blue Offense Goes in Loss to Stars - Oklahoma City Blue
- Jeffries, Kings Run Away with 118-98 Victory over Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Wolves Grind, Nowell Shines in Loss to Red Claws - Iowa Wolves
- Career Night from Stephan Hicks Leads Mad Ants to Decisive Victory against Erie - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Red Claws Hold on for Big Road Win - Maine Red Claws
- Greensboro Falls to College Park - Greensboro Swarm
- Drive Throttled by Charge on the Road - Grand Rapids Drive
- Big First Quarter Propels Charge Past Grand Rapids - Canton Charge
- Magic Rally Falls Short against Go-Go - Lakeland Magic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bay Lakers Stories
- South Bay Blows by Wolves in Fourth Quarter to Grab Road Win
- Lakers Gaming Drafts Three Players to Fill 2020 Roster
- South Bay Acquires Returning Player Rights to Juan Toscano-Anderson and 2020 First Round Pick
- South Bay Drops Road Game in Austin
- South Bay's Total Team Effort Prevails in Lone Star State