Garbowsky Named Captain for 2017-18 Season
WINDSOR, Colo. - The Colorado Eagles, proud affiliate of the Colorado Avalanche, announced Thursday that forward Matt Garbowsky has been named team captain for the 2017-18 season. Garbowsky now becomes the sixth captain in Colorado Eagles history, following in the footsteps of Brent Thompson, Greg Pankewicz, Riley Nelson, Trent Daavettila and Sean Zimmerman. In addition, defensemen Teigan Zahn, Matt Register and Jake Marto have been named alternate captains for the upcoming season.
"It's a great honor to be named captain," said Garbowsky. "There are a lot of guys within this room that have a lot of experience that I am going to draw upon and we have a good core of guys who are all leaders. Obviously, it's a very cool thing to have put on your jersey and I'm going to try to make the most of it."
The 5-foot-10, 185-pound center helped lead the Eagles to a 2017 ECHL Kelly Cup Championship, collecting 36 goals and 44 assists in the regular season, while adding six goals and nine assists in 20 playoff contests. His 36 goals were also good for 3rd among all ECHL skaters. Additionally, the 26 year-old was named the MVP of the 2017 ECHL All-Star Game in Adirondack, New York after notching two goals and two assists.
Garbowsky does have previous experience serving as a captain, after wearing the "C" for the Rochester Institute of Technology during the 2014-15 campaign. The St. George, Ontario native would go on to be named a finalist for the prestigious Hobey Baker Award during that same season with the Tigers.
The 2017-18 regular season home schedule kicks off on Friday, October 13th when the Eagles host the Utah Grizzlies. A complete schedule can be found at www.ColoradoEagles.com. Season tickets for the 2017-18 season are on-sale now and can be reserved with a $100 deposit per seat by calling the Eagles ticket office at 970-686-SHOT (7468).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 12, 2017
- Worcester Railers HC Announce Opening Night Roster - Worcester Railers HC
- WJBX Returns as Broadcast Home for Everblades Hockey - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Announces Season-Opening Roster and Captains - Wichita Thunder
- Solar Bears Announce 2017-18 Season-Opening Roster - Orlando Solar Bears
- Garbowsky Named Captain for 2017-18 Season - Colorado Eagles
- Admirals Release Opening Night Roster - Norfolk Admirals
- ECHL Announces Season-Opening Rosters - ECHL
- Oilers Finalize Season-Opening Roster - Tulsa Oilers
- Manchester Monarchs Announce Season-Opening Roster - Manchester Monarchs
- Mallards Finalize Season Opening Roster - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers Announce Opening Roster & Captains for 2017-18 - Wheeling Nailers
- Komets Open Season Saturday; Walleye Visit for 66th Home Opener - Fort Wayne Komets
- Nelson Traded to Norfolk - Rapid City Rush
- Admirals Acquire Nelson, Sign Reichenbach - Norfolk Admirals
- : INTRUST Bank Arena Announces the Debut - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Announce 2017-18 Season-Opening Roster - Indy Fuel
- TOMORROW - Fri Oct 13 - Tulsa Oilers vs Kansas City Mavericks At - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- 2018 Kelly Cup Championship Party Set for Tuesday, June 12th
- Game Seven Watch Party Set for Budweiser Events Center
- Colorado's 4-2 Win Forces Decisive Game Seven
- Florida Blanks Colorado, 5-0 to Take 3-2 Series Lead
- Epic Rally Comes up Short in 7-6 OT Loss in Game Four