Game Recap 5-3
Cardinals Get Swept in Doubleheader
Jupiter, FL - Cardinals had nothing go their way on Wednesday evening as they lost both games of the doubleheader to the Florida Fire Frogs. The Cardinals lost game one by a final of 8-1 and game two by a final of 5-0.
Junior Fernandez and Luiz Gohara battled in game one as it was scoreless after five innings. The top of the sixth is where it all fell apart for Fernandez. Tyler Nelsony pinch hit and hit a double to start the sixth and went to third on a Jonathan Morales single. Fernandez then struck out Ronald Acuna and intentionally walked Alex Jackson to load the bases. Austin Riley hit a sacrifice fly to right to put Florida on the board and give them a 1-0 lead. Braxton Davidson walked to load the bases once again to bring up Carlos Castro. Castro took a ball over the outstretched arms of a leaping Magneuris Sierra that barely cleared the wall for a grand slam and a 5-0 Fire Frogs lead.
Ross Vance came in and took over on the mound for Fernandez and got out of the sixth on a strikeout after giving up two singles.
The Cardinals got one back in the bottom of the fifth as Randy Arozarena hit a one out single and got to second on a Chris Chinea walk. Diekroeger hit a ball through the left side to score Arozarena and make it 5-1.
The Fire Frogs put three more up on the board in the seventh off Vance to give them the 8-1 victory.
Game two was not much better for the Cardinals as they were shutout 5-0. They only had two hits in the game and three errors. The bright spot was Zac Gallen as he struck out seven over six innings. He has struck out six or more in every game that he has pitched in this season.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from May 4, 2017
- T-Yanks Lose Heartbreaker as D-Jays Walk-Off - Tampa Yankees
- Bradenton Increase Division Lead with Win Over Mets - Bradenton Marauders
- Stankiewicz Sends Threshers Home Victorious - Clearwater Threshers
- Hernandez Homers, Threshers Settle for Split - Clearwater Threshers
- Tortugas Salvage Series Split with Miracle - Fort Myers Miracle
- Stone Crabs Strike Early to Earn Sweep of Tigers - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Kelly and Sullivan Lead Stone Crabs to 6-5 Comeback - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Gutierrez Infiltrates Fort Myers - Daytona Tortugas
- Sparks Fly in 3-1 Home Loss - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Game Recap 5-3 - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Gutierrez Infiltrates Fort Myers in 5-2 Win - Daytona Tortugas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Palm Beach Cardinals Stories
- Palm Beach Cardinals Begin Push for Back-to-Back Florida State League Championships
- Rick Ankiel to Throw out Ceremonial First Pitch at Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium on Tuesday, August 14th
- Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium August & September Promotional Schedule
- Homage to the Beard Night Tuesday, June 26th
- Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium to Host 2019 Florida State League All-Star Game