Gaffney's Late Heroics Lift Muskegon to Win over Green Bay
MUSKEGON, MI- After losing their first four games of the season, the Muskegon Lumberjacks have rallied for four straight victories, leveling their record to 4-4-0 through eight games.
On Saturday, Alex Gaffney's last-minute goal propelled the Jacks to a 3-2 win over the Green Bay Gamblers at LC Walker Arena.
Gaffney stuffed a rebound past Gambler goalie Nicholas Grabko with only 58 seconds remaining, pushing Muskegon to their fourth straight win.
Green Bay got the scoring started early on, getting a goal from Chad Hillebrand just 2:31 into the game. Muskegon would trail 1-0 after one period despite outshooting Green Bay 19-10 in the first.
In the second, Muskegon grabbed the lead with two quick goals in the second half of the frame.
AJ Hodges registered his third of the season on a netfront one-timer set up by Luke Mobley, tying the game at one with 7:40 to play in the second.
Then, with 6:29 left, Alex Konovalov deflected a John Prokop shot past Grabko to give Muskegon the 2-1 lead that they would take into the locker room after two periods.
In the third, both Grabko and Jacks netminder Noah Giesbrecht were excellent, but Green Bay defenseman Mason Lohrei was able to solve Giesbrecht with a wrister, tying the game at two with only 4:37 remaining.
That set the stage for Gaffney to play hero. After Konovalov's initial shot was stopped by Grabko, Gaffney fought to the front of the net and jammed the loose puck into the net to give Muskegon a 3-2 lead that they would not relinquish.
Gaffney now has scored a goal in four straight games.
The Jacks are now 4-4-0 and move into a tie for fourth place in the Eastern Conference. They hit the road next week for a pair of games against Sioux Falls. They return home the following weekend, November 1 and 2, for games against Waterloo and Youngstown.
Muskegon goals: Hodges (3), Konovalov (3), Gaffney (4)
Muskegon assists: Mobley (2), Prokop (1), Konovalov (5), Tanner Edwards (5)
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from October 19, 2019
- Hawks Ride Ralston's Outburst - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Tri-City Defeated by Stampede 2-1 - Tri-City Storm
- Stampede Defeat Tri-City Storm 2-1 in Kearney - Sioux Falls Stampede
- McCarthy's 18 Save Shutout Pushes Dubuque to 6-0 on the Season - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Gaffney's Late Heroics Lift Muskegon to Win over Green Bay - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- RoughRiders Triumph over Lancers - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Preview: Storm Set to Battle Stampede at Viaero Center - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Muskegon Lumberjacks Stories
- Jacks Fall to USNTDP U18 in Preseason Matinee Matchup
- Jacks Surpass Chicago in Preseason Shootout Thriller
- Lumberjacks Take on USNTDP in 'Play with Purpose' Charity Hockey Game
- New Faces Join Muskegon Lumberjacks Staff
- Muskegon Lumberjacks Bolster Strength Training with 2SP