Fury FC Secures Clean Sheet at Home in 2-0 Win over Loudoun United FC
OTTAWA - It's as if Mother Nature was cheering on Ottawa Fury FC on Saturday afternoon as the sun and warmer temperatures were on hand to welcome USL Championship expansion club Loudoun United FC to TD Place for week six action, Fury FC's fourth match this season. The mood was up in the stadium all afternoon as the home side captured their first home win of the season by a final score of 2-0.
Ottawa opened the score in the 34th minute of play on a scrappy goal by newcomer Mour Samb who was getting his first start in Fury FC uniform. Kevin Oliveira danced his way on the scoresheet at the start of the second half when he collected a missed ball and beat the Loudoun goalkeeper to make it 2-0. Ottawa's keeper Callum Irving made a key save late in the game to help his side secure the clean sheet.
Fury FC opened the score thanks to a Mour Samb goal in the 34th minute. It marked Samb's first start in the Fury FC uniform and his first goal for the Ottawa side.
2017 standout Callum Irving made a return in front of the Ottawa net for this match, his first start of the 2019 campaign, his 39th in career with Fury FC. He also earned his first clean sheet of the season on the day.
If scoring chances lacked for Ottawa last week, they turned the tide around this week, creating 18 shots (only 4 the week before), 12 of which came in the first half. It was also their highest number of shots in a game so far this season.
Of the 18 shots, 7 were on target. Oliveira and François each tallied 5 shots, with Samb and Fall close behind with 3. Haworth had the other 2.
Ottawa once again reached in the high 500 in number of passes for this match with 579 to the 347 of their opponent. They maintained a passing accuracy of 83%. In four matches, the club now has an average of 505.3 passes per 90 minutes with a success rate of 77.6%.
One of Ottawa's standout players on the day was forward Kevin Oliveira who finished the match with a goal and an assist.
Head Coach Nikola Popovic
"I think the first half was amazing. We created a lot of chances, we possessed the ball and we were able to be very accurate with our passes. The way we managed the game was very good. The danger was coming for the air, through direct football, but we corrected that in the second half. There is a lot of room for progress, but I think it is a very positive performance."
Goalkeeper Callum Irving
"I think that's probably the most important thing for a goalkeeper. Especially the way our team plays. We're going to have the ball for most of the game, so it's our job as a goalkeeper to remain focused, keep the guys in front of us focused, and when we are called upon to do our job. Thankfully, today the guys were unreal in front of me so I didn't have much to do."
Forward Kevin Oliveira
"This is a team that plays a style that suits me, that plays to my strength. That has helped me a lot and allowed me to bring my best game."
"Christiano (François) is a fast player, we've been working well together since the preseason. The whole team, we're very connected. We know how to play, we know each other. Today we knew they would play higher so we try to exploit the back. We created a lot of difficulties for them."
Download match photos (credit: Freestyle Photography / Steve Kingsman)
Watch match highlights | Review match statistics
Ottawa Fury FC (4-3-3): Irving; Gagnon-Laparé, Barnathan, Meilleur-Giguère, Haworth ©; Fall (73' Daniels), Ward (90+3' Dixon), Mannella; Oliveira, Samb (85' Hundal), François
Loudoun United FC (4-4-2): Edwards Jr.; Doue, Hawkins, Verfurth, Saravia (70' Villatoro); Lubahn, S. Bustamante (57' Kayo), Pilato, Presley; Kadono, Murphy
34' - OTT Samb (Oliveira)
53' - OTT Oliveira
36' - LDN Bustamante
73' - OTT Oliveira
87' - LDN Verfurth
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from April 13, 2019
- Real Monarchs SLC Drops 5-1 Result at New Mexico United - Real Monarchs SLC
- Tacoma Defiance Falls at Las Vegas Lights FC on Saturday Night - Tacoma Defiance
- Reno 1868 FC Defeats Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC for First Time in Club History - Reno 1868 FC
- Roughnecks Fall 3-1 to Fresno FC - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Nashville SC Blanks Memphis 901 FC 2-0 in Saturday Night Showdown - Nashville SC
- Memphis 901 Falls in First Meeting with Nashville SC - Memphis 901 FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Falls to USL Cup Finalist, Phoenix Rising FC - El Paso Locomotive FC
- T2 Record 1-0 Win against Sacramento Republic FC - Portland Timbers 2
- Legion FC Wins 3-2 at Saint Louis FC - Birmingham Legion FC
- Phoenix Rising Earns First Win of 2019 in 2-0 Shutout of El Paso - Phoenix Rising FC
- Steel FC wins first-ever match against Battery and hands them first 2019 loss - Bethlehem Steel FC
- STLFC Falls 3-2 to Birmingham Legion FC - Saint Louis FC
- Toros Earn High Energy Victory over OKC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- San Antonio FC Records Second Consecutive Win; Defeats LA Galaxy II 2-0 - San Antonio FC
- Battery Fall to Bethlehem Steel FC for First Loss of the Season - Charleston Battery
- ATL UTD 2 Wins 2-1 vs North Carolina FC - Atlanta United 2
- Republic FC Fall 1-0 on the Road to Portland Timbers 2 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Jackson Jumpstarts Attack as Independence Fall Short - Charlotte Independence
- Hounds Victorious in Home Opener - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- North Carolina FC Falls 2-1 to Atlanta United 2 - North Carolina FC
- Match Preview - Fresno FC
- Fury FC Secures Clean Sheet at Home in 2-0 Win over Loudoun United FC - Ottawa Fury FC
- Indy Eleven Travel West to Take on Swope Park Rangers - Indy Eleven
- Behind Enemy Lines: Memphis 901 FC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Ottawa Fury FC Stories
- Fury FC Remains Unbeaten in Last 5 Games After 1-1 Draw against Hartford
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC at Hartford Athletic
- Huge Performance Earns Francois a Spot on USL Championship Team of the Week
- Fury FC Celebrates May-Long Weekend with 3-0 Win in Bethlehem
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC at Bethlehem Steel FC