Frogs Jump All Over Indians Early in 16-9 Win
EVERETT, Wash. -- The Everett AquaSox (11-16) shook off their struggles so far at home this season by exploding for a season high 16 runs, powered mostly by an eight-run first inning, to even the series with the in-state rival Spokane Indians (14-13) by a score of 16-9.
Designated hitter James Wood and left-fielder Jabari Blash led the offensive outburst in the first inning when Wood hit the Frogs' first grand slam of the season after the first three batters of the game reached base, and Blash stepped to the plate next and powered an opposite field solo home run.
Thirteen batters came to the plate in the eight-run first, and the total runs for the inning matched Everett's highest run total for an entire game this year and ended Spokane starter Victor Payano's (1-3, 5.75 ERA) day after only recording two outs.
Attempting to put the game out of reach of the Indians' top-ranked offense, Blash knocked out his second homer of the game in the bottom of the fourth after Wood walked to lead off the inning to put Everett at double digit runs scored for the first time in 2011. Blash and Wood accounted for 13 of the 16 runs by the Sox, with Wood totaling a team high 6 RBI for the game.
Sox starter Stephen Kohlscheen (0-0, 4.86 ERA) did not allow a base runner until the top of the fourth inning, but the Indians cut the 12-1 lead the Frogs had accumulated in half with a five-run fifth that chased Kohlscheen from the game one out before he could qualify for the win. The Indians never got closer than six runs as the two teams traded three-run innings in the bottom of the sixth and the top of the seventh and Everett tacked on one more run in the bottom of the eighth.
Everett came into the game averaging 3.8 runs per game at home this season, and the win improves the AquaSox home record to 3-8 while also snapping their three-game home losing streak.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from July 15, 2011
- Darvill's Slide Lifts Hawks out of Skid - Boise Hawks
- Frogs Jump All Over Indians Early in 16-9 Win - Everett AquaSox
- Dust Devils Take 2-0 Series Lead Over Eugene - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Gutierrez Leads Bears to Victory Over Volcanoes - Yakima Bears
- Schwartz Powers Vancouver over Boise 5-1 - Boise Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Everett AquaSox Stories
- Everett AquaSox Named 2020 NWL Undefeated Champions
- Everett AquaSox 2020 Season Officially Canceled
- Northwest League Delays 2020 Season
- Time Is Almost up Sign up for the Funko Field At-Home 5K TODAY
- Everett AquaSox Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign