Frisco retakes top spot in South Division
The RoughRiders used timely hitting and an eighth inning rally to defeat San Antonio 4-3 in game one of their four game series. Armando Galarraga had a strong performance as he tied a season-high striking out nine, but didn't factor into the decision. German Duran, who also added two impressive leaping plays on defense, went 2-for-3 from the dish and scored the winning run in the eighth.
San Antonio got on the board in the first frame when Matt Antonelli hit his first home run of the season as a Mission. The 'Riders answered in the bottom half of the inning to tie the game at one when Anthony Webster led off with a double and moved to third on a sacrifice bunt by Casey Benjamin. Duran followed with a line drive single to score Webster. Frisco made the score 2-1 in the second when John Mayberry hit his seventh homer of the season and his third in his past five games. The 'Riders would add their third run in the fifth with two outs as Adam Fox singled, moved to second on a wild pitch, and scored on an RBI single by Webster. San Antonio tied the score at three in the eighth when Chase Headley hit a two-run triple off of Frisco reliever Danny Herrera. With two outs in the bottom of the eighth, the 'Riders answered with back-to-back doubles by Duran and Steve Murphy to retake the lead at 4-3.
Galarraga went seven strong allowing just one run on three hits. He issued two walks and sat down the final eight batters he faced. Danny Herrera (5-0) earned the victory despite giving up two runs in his one inning of work. Jesse Ingram retired all three batters in order in the ninth to earn his team-best 20th save. Missions' starter Manny Ayala (1-2) went seven innings surrendering all three runs on five hits while striking out five. Neil Jamison (3-5) took the loss for the Missions. Frisco pitching has now struck out 27 batters in the past two games, the most for any two game span this season by the 'Riders.
The 'Riders will send Scott Shoemaker (1-0, 3.16) to the hill in game two to face San Antonio's Cesar Ramos (7-7, 3.80). Time of first pitch is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Dr Pepper Ballpark.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from July 15, 2007
- Cardinals Rally Past Drillers - Tulsa Drillers
- Cards Grab 3-2 Win in Tulsa on Sunday - Springfield Cardinals
- Borrell Shines in Midland Win - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Frisco retakes top spot in South Division - Frisco RoughRiders
- Wichita Overcomes Travs In Eighth Inning - Arkansas Travelers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Frisco RoughRiders Stories
- 'Riders Insider' Debuts on FOX Sports Southwest on Monday, March 26
- Season-Long Celebrations, Promos Mark Riders' 15th Anniversary Season in 2018
- Riders Unveil Biggest Promotional Schedule in Baseball History
- Riders Bringing in Biggest Collection of Celebs in Team History
- Riders Ticket Celebration Kicks off 2018 Single-Game Sales Friday, March 2