Fort Wayne Mad Ants Announce Tom Hankins as Head Coach
The Fort Wayne Mat Ants, the NBA G League affiliate of the Indiana Pacers, announced Monday the hiring of Tom Hankins as their new head coach.
The 54-year-old Hankins brings vast coaching experience to Fort Wayne. He got started as a graduate assistant at Northwest Missouri State in 1991 after graduating from Northeastern State (OK) University in 1990. He next was an assistant coach at East Central High School in Tulsa, OK, for five years before going to Oral Roberts University as an assistant coach for 15 years, 12 of those as the top assistant. From 2012-2015 he was the associate head coach at Southern Illinois University and from 2015-2019 he was the head coach at the University of Central Oklahoma. Teams he was associated with had six 20-win seasons, three NCAA tournament appearances and two NIT appearances.
In 2019, he was hired by the Pacers as assistant player development coach.
"This is a great opportunity and a privilege to be the Mad Ants' head coach," said Hankins. "I look forward to help develop players, but also having a team that represents the goals of the Pacers and Mad Ants on and off the floor."
Hankins becomes the seventh head coach in Mad Ants history.
"Tom brings a wealth of experience from many years in the college ranks," said Mad Ants General Manager Brian Levy. "His proven track record of developing players was only further amplified by his recent role in working with Brian Bowen and Naz Mitrou-Long. Having spent time with Tom this last season, I am confident that he will continue to cultivate talent and provide great value for the organization, both in Fort Wayne and Indianapolis."
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 11, 2021
- Wolves Select Allonzo Trier, Dakarai Tucker in 2021 NBA G League Draft - Iowa Wolves
- Raptors 905 Select Kevon Harris and Gary Payton II in the 2021 NBA G League Draft. - Raptors 905
- Raptors 905 Complete 3 Trades Ahead of 2021 G League Draft - Raptors 905
- Austin Spurs Select Jonathan Kasibabu, Anthony Mathis and Kaleb Johnson in 2021 NBA G League Draft - Austin Spurs
- Memphis Hustle Acquire Two Players in 2020-21 NBA G League Draft - Memphis Hustle
- Delaware Blue Coats Select Jemerrio Jones and Braxton Key in 2021 NBA G League Draft - Delaware Blue Coats
- Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2021 Roster Released - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Vipers Select Brooks and Cumberland in the 2021 G League Draft - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Greensboro Swarm Select Admiral Schofield with First Pick of 2021 NBA G League Draft - G League
- Westchester Knicks Select Justin Patton No. 9 Overall - Westchester Knicks
- Greensboro Swarm Select Admiral Schofield No. 1 Overall in the 2020-21 NBA G League Draft - Greensboro Swarm
- Memphis Hustle Complete Trade with South Bay Lakers - Memphis Hustle
- South Bay Acquires 2021-22 First Round Pick - South Bay Lakers
- Memphis Hustle Complete Trade with Raptors 905 - Memphis Hustle
- Westchester Knicks Set to Select No. 9 Overall in the 2020-21 NBA G League Draft - Westchester Knicks
- Memphis Hustle Complete Trade with Erie BayHawks - Memphis Hustle
- BayHawks Acquire Rights to Jarrod Uthoff - Erie BayHawks
- Fort Wayne Mad Ants Announce Tom Hankins as Head Coach - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.